Angular Moment Cube: Calculating $\vec{L}$

In summary, a homogeneous cube of mass M and side 2a spinning around one diagonal of its faces with constant angular velocity w will have an angular momentum with a magnitude of \sqrt{\frac{43}{3}}Ma^2w relative to one of its fixed vertexes. This can be calculated using the tensor formula for inertia and the parallel axis theorem.
rmfw

Homework Statement

An homogeneous cube of mass M and side 2a spins around one diagonal of the faces with constant angular velocity w. Show that the size of the angular moment in relation to one of the fixed vertexes is [itex] \sqrt{\frac{43}{3}}Ma^2w [/itex]

What I visualize here is a cube with one of its vertexes on the origin and then it spits in a way that the vertex on the origin is always keeps there.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{L}=\vec{L}_{cm;O} + \vec{L}_{rel cm} = I \vec{w} + I_{cm} \vec{w}[/itex]

where I are inertia tensors

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate the inertia tensors:

[itex] I =Ma^2 \begin{pmatrix} \frac{2}{3} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{2}{3} & 0 \\0 & 0 & \frac{2}{3} \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

[itex] I_{cm} =Ma^2 \begin{pmatrix} 2 & -1 & -1 \\ -1 & 2 & -1 \\-1 & -1 & 2 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

but now I'm stuck on what the vector w should represent, I think it has something to do with euler angles.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\omega## points along the axis of the rotation = the axis of fixed points.

you mean like [itex]\vec{w} = (cos (\frac{pi}{4}) w ; 0 ; sen(\frac{pi}{4}) w) [/itex]? considering that the diagonal which upon the cube rotates is in the xOz plane.

I tried that with no success.

That's a complicated way to express that vector, but yes.

I tried that with no success.
What went wrong?

I don't understand your Icm, and I don't think it is necessary to treat everything as tensors, but it should be possible.

Sorry for the above post, somehow I managed to post a duplicate reply and now I can't delete it.

Using the formulas for the first part of the angular momentum I got:

[itex] L_{x}=\frac{2Ma^2}{3\sqrt{2}}
L_{y}=0
L_{z}=\frac{2Ma^2}{3\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

for the second part of the equation:

[itex] L_{x}=\frac{Ma^2}{\sqrt{2}}
L_{y}=\frac{-2Ma^2}{\sqrt{2}}
L_{z}=\frac{Ma^2}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]

adding:
[itex]
L_{x}=\frac{5Ma^2}{3\sqrt{2}}
L_{y}=\frac{-2Ma^2}{\sqrt{2}}
L_{z}=\frac{5Ma^2}{3\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

then calculating the norm gives the result [itex] \frac{\sqrt{43}Ma^2w}{3} [/itex], well looks like this time I got it right, seems like I had transcribed the question wrong, the 3 goes outside the root.

mfb said:
I don't understand your Icm, and I don't think it is necessary to treat everything as tensors, but it should be possible.

I just used the tensor formula but instead of integrating I assumed the whole mass was in the point of coordinates (a,a,a), for example:
[itex] I_{11}=M[ (a^2 +a^2+a^2) - a^2] = 2Ma^2 [/itex]

Honestly I didn't quite understand why we have to calculate the second component on the right side of the angular momentum equation since it only says "relatively to the origin", are both of the componets always necessary ? could you give me some insight on it? And perhaps tell me how you would solve the problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
The moment of inertia of a cube for a rotation around its center of mass does not depend on the axis (as all 3 principal axes have the same moment of inertia), afterwards you just need the distance of the axis of rotation to the center of the cube and you can use the parallel axis theorem.

I don't get that sqrt(43).

Its just the result of the L vector norm :

[itex]w\sqrt{(\frac{5Ma^2}{3\sqrt{2}})^2+ (\frac{-2Ma^2}{\sqrt{2}}) ^2 +(\frac{5Ma^2}{3\sqrt{2}})^2}=\frac{\sqrt{43}Ma^2w}{3}[/itex]

What is Angular Moment Cube?

Angular Moment Cube is a mathematical tool used to calculate the angular momentum, represented by the vector $\vec{L}$, of a system. It takes into account the mass, position, and velocity of all objects involved in the system.

Why is calculating $\vec{L}$ important?

Angular momentum is a fundamental concept in physics and is conserved in many physical processes. It helps us understand the rotational motion of objects and is essential in fields such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and classical mechanics.

How is Angular Moment Cube used?

To use the Angular Moment Cube, you need to know the position, mass, and velocity of all the objects in the system. Then, you can use the formula $\vec{L} = \sum m_i\vec{r_i} \times \vec{v_i}$ to calculate the total angular momentum of the system.

What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion. However, linear momentum is a measure of an object's linear motion, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion.

Can Angular Moment Cube be used for non-rigid bodies?

Yes, Angular Moment Cube can be used for both rigid and non-rigid bodies. However, for non-rigid bodies, the calculation may become more complex, as the position, mass, and velocity of each part of the object must be taken into account.