1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum finding the principle axis

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    If an object is rotating about the axis of symmetry
    and you are trying to find the angular momentum about the mass centre g.

Does a rotation about the axis of symmetry correspond to a rotation about the principle axis?

For this question i am trying to find the angular momentum about the mass centre of cone which is rotating about its axis of symmetry. However the axis of rotation is also rotating about the z axis.

Does the angular velocity w effect the angular momentum about the mass centre? I am guessing it would...

The only thing i am not sure about weather or not angular momentum about G would be evaluated about the principle axis
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SpartanG345! :smile:

(btw, it's principal axis, like the principal of your school :wink:)
    Every axis of symmetry is a principal axis.

The principal axes of a cone are its centre line, and every direction perpendicular to that line.

To find the angular momentum, you must first find the angular velocity …

if that is along a principal axis, then just multiply by the moment of inertia; if not, then use the tensor method. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook