Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum in ElectroMagnetic fields(Feynman's Disk Paradox)

1. May 4, 2013 #1
    In Griffiths book, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" example 8.4 he calculates the angular momentum density for a set up that is a version of Feynman disk paradox. His answer for the angular momentum points in the z direction. But if we you assume that the r vector has component in the s direction and z direction(I am almost sure this is correct) [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = s[itex]\hat{s}[/itex]+ z[itex]\hat{z}[/itex], then the angular momentum density has both a z component and s component. The s component is not constant. The total angular moment on the other hand has to end up with only z component or the cylinders would tip over. Where is the error in my reasoning?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2
    It seems to me you've made no error. The angular momentum density should in fact have an [itex]\hat{s}[/itex] component for [itex]z \neq 0[/itex]. It seems Griffths neglected this. However, there is no xy component of the total angular momentum of EM field; it cancels out in via integration.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook