Angular momentum is conserved, but KE is not. How to find out why?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of angular momentum and the calculation of work in a situation involving rotational motion. The speakers discuss the role of external torques, the non-conservation of rotational kinetic energy, and the use of approximations to simplify the situation. They also consider the effects of the Coriolis force and the use of different reference frames. The main question at hand is how to calculate the work done in changing the moment of inertia in a system with multiple masses and a rigid body. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider the trajectories of the masses and the importance of defining a reference frame.
FG_313
This (photo) is a very typical example of conservation of angular momentum, but my trouble arrises from trying to prove that the difference of energy will have to correspond to work, by calculating the work done by you to alter the moment of inertia. I have spent a lot of time in this, but I still can't understand it satisfactorily. I'll try to explain my reasoning (for the few parts that I managed to do) and post my points of confusion as they arrise, and if there is anything you want to correct or add, it would be certainly very helpfull.

TorqueAndAngularMomentum_200.gif

No external torques => L is constant => Iω is constant. Therefore, the angular velocity goes up when we close our arms.
Now, looking at the rotational KE, it`s clear that is not conserved. That is not itself a problem: you do work in this situation. I woud like to look at it in a more quantitativaly way. Let`s approximate the situation in the first place for this:
Two masses M, each with a distance r to the axis (the situation is always symmetrical!). In this case, it can be checked (done it!) that the difference in KE when the masses are at r1 and after at r2 is equal to the work done by "fighting" the centrifugal force on the both ways (by the way, I'm not certain why we don't need to take into account the coriollis force, it is normal to the displacement in the radial direction, so the first thing I thought is that the work has to be zero. However, if I were to apply the "formula" W=∫τdφ when τ is the torque done by fighting the corriollis force, it would lead to apparent contradiction). But this is oversimplificating too much the situation, I'm not satisfied. The following treatment is where I'm having more problems:
Your torso, head, legs and all that will be treated as a cilinder, or any other rigid body with moment of inertia Io, the weights are connected to you by a massless rod and the weights are pontual masses with mass M (each one of them). Let r be the distance between the axis and one of the weights, the total moment of inertia would then be: I=Io+2Mr^2. I want to calculate the work done by bringing the masses from distance r1 to r2, taking the assumptions described, and I'm having trouble with that. Here are some other thoughts on the matter:

If we take into account only the rigid body (Io), he goes from Io*ω1 to Io*ω2, so there has to be a external torque to this system (only the rigid body- No weights!). That would probably be done by the force done by the weights (M), that are a reaction (Newton 3rd law) to the force I have to make to beat the corriolis force. So I guess this torque has to be taken in account when calculating the work done! Than, We cannot ignore the corriolis force when calculating work, like we did in the first case. Furthermore, the thing that makes the first case so easy so easy to work with, is that the centrifugal force has a simple relation to the angular mommentum, which is constant, so the integral of work gives the correct answer. Thank you for the attention!

Physics news on Phys.org
FG_313 said:
If we take into account only the rigid body (Io), he goes from Io*ω1 to Io*ω2, so there has to be a external torque to this system (only the rigid body- No weights!). That would probably be done by the force done by the weights (M), that are a reaction (Newton 3rd law) to the force I have to make to beat the corriolis force. So I guess this torque has to be taken in account when calculating the work done!
The Coriolis force cannot be responsible for applying a torque to the rigid cylinder. The cylinder is not moving radially. The force that is responsible for the torque is the real interaction force between the cylinder and the [rods restraining the] moving masses. Those masses are subject to the Coriolis force. But that Coriolis force is at right angles to the movement of the masses. As you first thought, quite correctly, it does no work.

The real interaction force between the movable masses and the rigid cylinder does do work. It does accelerate the cylinder. But... Newton's third law applies. The partner force does equal negative work on the movable masses, slowing them down. It is a wash -- equal and opposite torques, conserving total angular momentum.

You might gain some insight by considering the trajectories of the movable masses. They are not moving in circles. They are moving in an inward spiral path and are subject to an inward force. That inward force is not at right angles to their path. It tends to speed them up.

Likes FactChecker
FG_313 said:
I'll try to explain my reasoning...
Start by defining a reference frame, and then stick to that frame. In the inertial frame where angular momentum is conserved, there are no inertial centrifugal and Coriolis forces.

I may be wrong, but the work that you do independs on the reference frame picked, and the non-inertial reference frame is much easier in that case. To the response above, I meant that the force that you need to balance out the coriollis effect on the weights would cause a reaction from the weight to your arm, and that would cause the torque, I think.

FG_313 said:
I may be wrong, but the work that you do independs on the reference frame picked,
Work is frame dependent.

FG_313 said:
... and the non-inertial reference frame is much easier in that case.
Which non-inertial frame? You haven't defined one. Note that if your rotating frame has variable ω, you need to consider the Euler force, additionally to centrifugal and Coriolis.

Well, I'm clearly not up to this problem yet! How would you find the work?

1. What is angular momentum and why is it conserved?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating, and it is conserved because there is no external force causing it to change. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why isn't kinetic energy conserved if angular momentum is?

Kinetic energy is not conserved because it can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or heat. This means that the total amount of kinetic energy in a system can change over time.

3. How can I determine why angular momentum is conserved but kinetic energy is not?

The conservation of angular momentum can be mathematically proven using the laws of motion and the concept of torque. On the other hand, the non-conservation of kinetic energy can be explained by considering the work done by non-conservative forces, such as friction, on the system.

4. Can you provide an example of a system where angular momentum is conserved but kinetic energy is not?

A classic example is a spinning top. As long as there is no external force acting on the top, its angular momentum will remain constant. However, friction will cause the top to eventually stop spinning, converting its kinetic energy into heat energy.

5. How does the conservation of angular momentum and non-conservation of kinetic energy affect real-world systems?

In real-world systems, external forces and non-conservative forces will always be present, causing a gradual decrease in both angular momentum and kinetic energy. However, the concept of conservation of angular momentum is still useful in predicting the overall behavior of a system, while the non-conservation of kinetic energy can help explain the dissipation of energy in a system.