Why velocity can change when angular momentum is conserved?

In summary, the tangential velocity of a particle can increase without any external torque acting on it and its angular momentum being conserved due to the change in position and the application of an arbitrary force. This force can be broken into parallel and perpendicular components, where the perpendicular component will change the direction of the velocity and the parallel component will change the speed. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force always acts perpendicular to the velocity, so it does not change the speed. However, in other types of motion with central forces, the centripetal force may not always be perpendicular and can therefore change the speed as well. A practical example of this concept is an ice skater pulling their arms in while spinning, where the centripetal
CollinsArg
Why the tangential velocity of a particle increase if there are no external torque acting on it and its angular momentum is conserved?

I know that L = I.ω (angular momentum equals moment of inertia times angular velocity)

and v = ω.r (tangential velocity equals angular velocity times the position of the particle), then ω = v/r
doing substitution ⇒ L = I.v/r

Also I know I = m.r2 (supposing for one particle, the mass of the particle times its position)

Then L = m.r2.v/rL = m.r.v

Because the angular momentum is conserved v = L/m.r

Hence, as I change the position of the particle (the same as the radius of the circumference) its velocity changes without any torque being applied, why is it so? Shouldn't velocity be always constant? What does make its velocity change if I can see only a centripetal force (and I learned that centripetal forces can only change the direction of the vector velocity)? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
CollinsArg said:
Hence, as I change the position of the particle (the same as the radius of the circumference) its velocity changes without any torque being applied, why is it so? Shouldn't velocity be always constant? What does make its velocity change if I can see only a centripetal force (and I learned that centripetal forces can only change the direction of the vector velocity)?

I believe that the force that is causing the change in position is responsible. For example, an ice skater pulling her arms in while in a spin exerts a force on her arms to bring them in.

Drakkith said:
I believe that the force that is causing the change in position is responsible. For example, an ice skater pulling her arms in while in a spin exerts a force on her arms to bring them in.
Wouldn't it be a centripetal force?

CollinsArg said:
I learned that centripetal forces can only change the direction of the vector velocity
Any arbitrary force can be broken into a component parallel to the velocity and a component perpendicular to the velocity. The perpendicular component will change the direction and the parallel component will change the speed.

In uniform circular motion the centripetal force is always perpendicular to the velocity, so it does not change the speed. But a central force in other types of motion (e.g. Orbital motion) will not always be perpendicular. In such cases a central force will change the speed too.

Dale said:
Any arbitrary force can be broken into a component parallel to the velocity and a component perpendicular to the velocity. The perpendicular component will change the direction and the parallel component will change the speed.

In uniform circular motion the centripetal force is always perpendicular to the velocity, so it does not change the speed. But a central force in other types of motion (e.g. Orbital motion) will not always be perpendicular. In such cases a central force will change the speed too.

Wound't it mean also that she could slow down the tangential velocity too? depending on the way the ice skater pulled her arms in? But the equation tells me that always when the distance is shortened the tangential velocity increases.

CollinsArg said:
Wouldn't it be a centripetal force?

Hmm. I'm not sure to be honest. This isn't an area I'm very familiar with.

CollinsArg said:
Wound't it mean also that she could slow down the tangential velocity too? depending on the way the ice skater pulled her arms in? But the equation tells me that always when the distance is shortened the tangential velocity increases.
First, simplify the scenario, e.g. A point mass on the end of a string whose length changes. Second, calculate the parallel and perpendicular components of the force, and apply what you know. See if you can identify in what circumstances the speed increases and why.

Continuing with the point mass on a string on a frictionless surface and a hole that the string can be pulled into or released from. Note that as the string is pulled into or released out of the hole, the path of the mass is spiral like and no longer perpendicular to the string. There's a component of tension that is in the direction of the path of the mass, so the speed of the mass changes.

As an example where the speed does not change, imagine that the string is wrapped around a post of some non-zero radius. The path of the mass will be involute of circle and the string will always be perpendicular to the path of the mass. There is a torque on the post exerted by the string, so angular momentum is not conserved unless you include the post and whatever the post is attached to (like the earth).

Image of the hole case. The short lines are perpendicular to the path, and not lined up with the string:

hole.jpg

Image of the post case. The string is perpendicular to the path.

post.jpg

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 555
  • post.jpg
    post.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Likes nasu, CollinsArg and Dale

1. How can velocity change if angular momentum is conserved?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that the direction and magnitude of angular momentum cannot change. However, the distribution of mass within the system can change, which can result in a change in velocity.

2. Can you give an example of how velocity changes while angular momentum is conserved?

One example is an ice skater spinning with their arms extended. As they pull their arms closer to their body, their moment of inertia decreases, causing an increase in their angular velocity. Since angular momentum is conserved, this increase in angular velocity must be offset by a decrease in linear velocity.

3. Is there a relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity. As the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases. This is because a change in the moment of inertia (which affects angular velocity) also affects the distribution of mass, resulting in a change in linear velocity.

4. How does conservation of angular momentum relate to the conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum are closely related. In a closed system, if there are no external forces acting on the system, the total energy and angular momentum will remain constant. This means that any changes in angular velocity or linear velocity must be balanced by changes in potential or kinetic energy.

5. Can the conservation of angular momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. This law has been tested and confirmed countless times in various experiments. However, in some cases, it may appear that angular momentum is not conserved due to external forces that are not taken into account or measurement errors.