Angular momentum ladder operators and state transitions

In summary, the significance of the ladder operators' eigenvalues lies in their relation to the intensity of transitions between different spin states. However, these eigenvalues do not hold any inherent meaning and should not be interpreted as physical quantities. The ladder operator values can be visualized as vector rejection values, but their true significance lies in their mathematical role in determining the intensity of spin transitions.
JeremyEbert
What is the significance of the ladder operators eigenvalues as they act on the different magnetic quantum numbers, ml and ms to raise or lower their values?
How do their eigenvalues relate to the actual magnetic transitions from one state to the next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the 'ladder operators' are not (essentially) self-adjoint, there's no significance of their eigenvalues whatsoever.

dextercioby said:
Since the 'ladder operators' are not (essentially) self-adjoint, there's no significance of their eigenvalues whatsoever.

Thanks dextercioby. Being very new to the concepts of Hermitian operators, I am obviously having a hard time grasping this explanation but I will continue to research the subject.

My question stems from something I read on OEIS related to NMR spectroscopy. Stanislav Sykora, among other things, maintains a dll for Mnova software. It is used for NMR functionality. On http://oeis.org/A003991, he comments on the intensity of the transition between the states of spin being related to these ladder operators. Is his statement incorrect? If correct, doesn't this give significance to their eigenvalues?

"Consider a particle with spin S (a half-integer) and 2S+1 quantum states |m>, m = -S,-S+1,...,S-1,S.
Then the matrix element <m+1|S_+|m> = sqrt((S+m+1)(S-m)) of the spin-raising operator is the
square-root of the triangular (tabl) element T(r,o) of this sequence in row r = 2S, and at offset o=2(S+m).
T(r,o) is also the intensity |<m+1|S_+|m><m|S_-|m+1>| of the transition between the states |m> and |m+1>.
For example, the five transitions between the 6 states of a spin S=5/2 particle have relative intensities 5,8,9,8,5.
The total intensity of all spin 5/2 transitions (relative to spin 1/2) is 35, which is the tetrahedral number A000292(5).
[Stanislav Sykora, May 26 2012]"

That is correct, but the eigenvalues still mean nothing. The state vectors (kets) are not theirs, but pertain to the spin components (S_z most common).

dextercioby said:
That is correct, but the eigenvalues still mean nothing. The state vectors (kets) are not theirs, but pertain to the spin components (S_z most common).

Ah, I've heard them described as "in between the state vectors", this makes sense. Is the intensity of the transition between the states referring to the intensity of the magnetic moment? Does this have something to do with the Larmor frequency?

Thanks again for your responses.

JeremyEbert said:
Ah, I've heard them described as "in between the state vectors", this makes sense. Is the intensity of the transition between the states referring to the intensity of the magnetic moment? Does this have something to do with the Larmor frequency?

Thanks again for your responses.

I guess my question comes down to;
Can I visualize the ladder operator values as vector rejection values?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_projection#Vector_rejection_3

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of angular momentum ladder operators?

The angular momentum ladder operators are mathematical operators used to describe the quantum mechanical properties of angular momentum. They are used to represent the different energy levels of a quantum mechanical system and the transitions between them.

2. How do the angular momentum ladder operators relate to state transitions?

The angular momentum ladder operators are used to describe the change in energy states of a quantum mechanical system. They act on the quantum states to raise or lower the energy level, resulting in state transitions.

3. How are the angular momentum ladder operators defined?

The angular momentum ladder operators are defined as linear combinations of the position and momentum operators, and are dependent on the quantum mechanical system being studied. They can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system.

4. What is the significance of the commutation relation in angular momentum ladder operators?

The commutation relation between the angular momentum ladder operators is important because it determines the allowed energy levels and transitions in a quantum mechanical system. It also shows the relationship between the different components of angular momentum, such as spin and orbital angular momentum.

5. How are the angular momentum ladder operators used in real-world applications?

The angular momentum ladder operators are used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, atomic physics, and nuclear physics. They are also used in engineering applications, such as in the design of quantum computers and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.