Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction

In summary, the wave function with an angular part proportional to x2+y2 is an eigenfunction of Lz with an eigenvalue of 0. The solution can also be expressed in spherical coordinates and operated on with Lz=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial\phi} for a "trickier" solution.
InsertName

Homework Statement

Let the angular part of a wave function be proportional to x2+y2

Show that the wave function is an eigenfunction of Lz and calculate the associated
eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

Lz = xpy-ypx

px = -i[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial}{\partialx}[/tex]

py = -i[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial}{\partialy}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Lz (x2+y2) = ([tex]\lambda[/tex]x2+y2) (1)

(xpy-ypx)(x2+y2) = ([tex]\lambda[/tex]x2+y2) (2)

= xpy(x2+y2) - ypx(x2+y2) (3)

= xpy(x2) + xpy(y2) - ypx(x2) - ypx(y2) (4)

= 0 - 2i[tex]\hbar[/tex]xy + 2i[tex]\hbar[/tex]xy + 0 (5)

= 0 (6)

Which can only be correct if [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0 (?). (7)

Is [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0 a valid solution?

I'm pretty confident that (1), (2) and (3) are correct but after that I feel as if I'm missing some kind of 'trick'.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks fine. Zero is a perfectly good eigenvalue. Yours is a "brute force" solution. The "trick" that you may have missed is to express x and y in spherical coordinates, so that

x2+y2=r2sin2θ and then operate on it with

[tex]L_{z}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/tex]

Thanks for the quick reply!

1. What is the Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction?

The Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction is a mathematical function that describes the properties of a physical system related to its angular momentum. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a system.

2. How is the Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is used to determine the possible states of a particle and the probabilities of measuring certain values of its angular momentum.

3. What is the physical significance of the eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction?

The eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction represent the possible values of the angular momentum of a particle in a given system. The magnitude of the eigenvalue corresponds to the magnitude of the angular momentum, while the sign indicates the direction of the angular momentum vector.

4. How are the eigenfunctions of the Angular Momentum Operator related to the orbital angular momentum of a particle?

The eigenfunctions of the Angular Momentum Operator are associated with the orbital angular momentum of a particle. The square of the eigenfunction represents the probability distribution of the particle's orbital angular momentum, while the eigenvalues represent the possible values of this angular momentum.

5. What is the importance of the Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction in quantum mechanics?

The Angular Momentum Operator Eigenfunction is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it helps to determine the possible states and behaviors of particles in a system. It is also used in various applications, such as calculating the spectrum of atomic spectra and understanding the behavior of atomic and subatomic particles.