Understanding the Physics Behind Gyroscopes

• Thread starter tvlxql9x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics teacher's demonstration of a magic trick involving a spinning bicycle wheel suspended from a string. The concept of angular momentum and the right hand rule is brought up, with some confusion about the forces affecting an infinitesimal piece of the wheel. The conversation suggests looking at how a gyroscope works for further understanding.
tvlxql9x
The other day my physics teacher pulled some sort of magic trick that I'm sure many of you are familiar with. By some sort of witchcraft it seems that a bicycle wheel suspended from a string on one end of the axis won't fall if its spinning fast enough. I am befuddled.

After reading up on a few threads on here about angular momentum it has become apparent that the direction of angular momentum that we use the right hand rule for is just a convention for using it in calculation. I can understand that if you look at the torque applied to the angular momentum their directions seem to cause the wheel to precess, but something about this doesn't seem right. If you look at all the things that are happening to an infinitesimal piece of the wheel (dm if we were integrating) nothing pushes it sideways... I think. There's its linear momentum and the force of gravity. What is going on?!? Can anybody help me out with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Understanding the Physics Behind Gyroscopes

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and the velocity of an object as it rotates around an axis.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum (L) is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) by the angular velocity (ω). This can be represented by the equation L = Iω.

What is precession?

Precession is the rotational motion of an object around an axis that is not fixed. This means that the axis of rotation itself is moving, causing the object to trace out a circular path.

Why is precession important in physics?

Precession is important in physics because it is a fundamental property of rotating objects. It is also used to explain the behavior of gyroscopes and other spinning objects in space.

How does angular momentum affect precession?

Angular momentum is a crucial factor in determining the rate and direction of precession. The greater the angular momentum of an object, the slower it will precess. Additionally, the direction of precession is always perpendicular to the angular momentum vector.