Angular speed and acceleration of a rod

In summary, a rod with one end fixed on a smooth hinge is released from a horizontal position, causing it to rotate at the hinge. The rod has a mass of 800 gr and a length of 120 cm. Using the equations for rotational and translational kinetic energy, as well as potential energy and torque, the following values were calculated: a) the initial angular acceleration at point A is 12.5 rad/s2, b) the angular acceleration at point B is 7.52 rad/s2, c) the angular speed at point B is 4.47 rad/s, and d) the speed of the edge of the rod at point B is 5.36 m/s. These calculations were made by considering the
songoku

Homework Statement

A rod with one end fixed on a smooth hinge is shown below.
2.jpg

The rod is released from horizontal position so that it rotates at the hinge. The mass of the rod is 800 gr and the length is 120 cm. Find:
a. the initial angular acceleration (at A)
b. the angular acceleration at B
c. angular speed at B
d. the speed of the edge of the rod at B

Homework Equations

KE rotation = 1/2 Iω2
KE translation = 1/2 mv2
PE = mgh
τ = I.α
τ = F.d

The Attempt at a Solution

The moment of inertia will be 1/3 ML2

a.
τ = I.α
F.d = 1/3 ML2
8 x 0.6 = 1/3 x 0.8 x (1.2)2 x α
α = 12.5 rad/s2

b.
τ = I.α
8 x 0.6 sin 37° = 1/3 x 0.8 x (1.2)2 x α
α = 7.52 rad/s2

c. don't know

d. My idea is using conservation of energy; the decrease of potential energy of the center of mass = the gain of rotational kinetic energy and translational kinetic energy

m.g.1/2 L cos 37° = 1/2 Iω2 + 1/2 mv2 → the question asks about v, right?

To solve for v, I have to get the ω from (c). Is my idea correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expressing ω as a function of v (or vice versa).

obafgkmrns said:
Try expressing ω as a function of v (or vice versa).

v = ωr ?

You've got parts a) and b) correct (although I don't know why you have used 8m/s^2 as the value of g, since it is roughly 9.8m/s^2)

For parts c) and d), you don't have to consider any translational KE. The moment of inertia you have given is around the hinge, so using this will mean that the rotational KE is the total KE.

BruceW said:
You've got parts a) and b) correct (although I don't know why you have used 8m/s^2 as the value of g, since it is roughly 9.8m/s^2)

I used g = 10 m/s2. F = W = m.g = 0.8 x 10 = 8 N

For parts c) and d), you don't have to consider any translational KE. The moment of inertia you have given is around the hinge, so using this will mean that the rotational KE is the total KE.

So for (c), I just used:
m.g.1/2 L cos 37° = 1/2 Iω2
8 x 1/2 x 1.2 cos 37° = 1/2 x 1/3 x 0.8 x (1.2)2ω2
ω = 4.47 rad/s

For (d), I used:
v = ωL = 4.47 x 1.2 = 5.36 m/s

Am I right? Thanks

songoku said:
I used g = 10 m/s2. F = W = m.g = 0.8 x 10 = 8 N

Oh, yes that's right. I forgot that F=mg. Sorry about that!

songoku said:
So for (c), I just used:
m.g.1/2 L cos 37° = 1/2 Iω2
8 x 1/2 x 1.2 cos 37° = 1/2 x 1/3 x 0.8 x (1.2)2ω2
ω = 4.47 rad/s

For (d), I used:
v = ωL = 4.47 x 1.2 = 5.36 m/s

Am I right? Thanks
Yep! that looks right to me.

BruceW said:
Oh, yes that's right. I forgot that F=mg. Sorry about that!

Yep! that looks right to me.

Thanks for your help :)

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point, measured in radians per second. It is also known as rotational velocity.

How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the change in the angle of rotation by the time it takes to make that change. It is often represented by the symbol ω (omega) and its unit is radians per second (rad/s).

What factors affect the angular speed of a rod?

The angular speed of a rod is affected by its length, mass distribution, and the applied torque. A longer rod will have a higher angular speed than a shorter rod when rotating at the same rate. A rod with a more evenly distributed mass will also have a higher angular speed than a rod with a concentrated mass. The greater the applied torque, the higher the angular speed will be.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular speed. It is represented by the symbol α (alpha) and its unit is radians per second squared (rad/s²). It describes how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, either increasing or decreasing.

How is angular acceleration related to angular speed?

Angular acceleration and angular speed are directly related. When an object is experiencing a constant angular acceleration, its angular speed will change at a constant rate. This means that the greater the angular acceleration, the faster the object will be rotating, and vice versa.