Angular Velocity: Can a Body Move Faster Than C?

In summary, when rotating your head at 1rad/s, it is possible to see a body 350000km away with velocity greater than c. This is due to the fact that the light emitted by the body was emitted about 1.2 seconds earlier, and in a rotating frame, the speed of light is not constant. This concept is further explained in a thread about exceeding the speed of light in a rotating reference frame on the Physics Forum website.
Sandeep T S
When I rotate my head with 1rad/s , I can see a body which 350000km away have velocity greater than c.is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
By what logic will the body appear to have velocity greater than c? What you see is the light emitted by the body about 1.2 s earlier.

kuruman said:
By what logic will the body appear to have velocity greater than c? What you see is the light emitted by the body about 1.2 s earlier.
Just rotate head in night sky, you will see stars are rotating, v=r ×omega

Sandeep T S said:
When I rotate my head with 1rad/s , I can see a body which 350000km away have velocity greater than c.is that possible?
Have you tried turning your head at 1rad/s? Was it possible?

The speed of light is constant and invariant in inertial frames of reference. A rotating frame is not inertial.

Sandeep T S said:
I didn't got this, i think a problem with site
Please try again. That (long) thread should answer your questions about this thought experiment.

We spent a lot of electrons on that thread, so this duplicate of it is closed for now.

FAQ: Angular Velocity: Can a Body Move Faster Than C?

1. Can a body have angular velocity without having linear velocity?

Yes, a body can have angular velocity without having linear velocity. Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's rotational position, while linear velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line. So, it is possible for a body to rotate without moving in a straight line.

2. Is angular velocity the same as rotational velocity?

Yes, angular velocity and rotational velocity are essentially the same thing. They both refer to the rate of change of an object's rotational position.

3. Can a body move faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can move in the universe. Therefore, a body cannot move faster than the speed of light, whether it is in a straight line or rotating.

4. Does angular velocity affect linear velocity?

Yes, angular velocity and linear velocity are related to each other. The linear velocity of a point on a rotating object is equal to the product of its angular velocity and the distance from the axis of rotation. This is known as the tangential velocity.

5. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen axis of rotation. This is commonly seen in objects such as wheels or gears that can rotate in either direction.