Describing a Rotating Vector with Changing Angular-Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a rotating vector field in which a vector at the origin in coordinate space rotates with a changing angular-velocity. The formula for describing this vector using angular-velocity is given, as well as a question about the vector's invariance under rotation around different axes. The expert provides a non-tensor formula for the vector and a tensor version of the formula. It is noted that rotations do not commute and therefore rotating an object around different axes may not result in the vector being invariant.
Jianbing_Shao
I have a question about a rotating vector field:
if there is a vector ##A^i(t_0)## at the origin in coordinate space ##IR^3## , when ##t≥t_0##, the vector rotates with a changing angular-velocity ##ω^i(t)##. then we can get a rotating vector field ##A^i(t)##. then how to describe ##A^i(t)## using angular-velocity ##ω^i(t)##?
Further more, if ##\theta^i(t_1)\doteq \int^{t_1}_{t_0}\omega^i(t)dt=0##, then can we assert that ##A^i(t_1)=A^i(t_0)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may use a coordinate system in which rotation is explicit. Example, in ##\mathbb R^2## let a position vector be represented by ##\vec r = (x,y)## in cartesian coordinates or ##\vec r = x \partial_x + y \partial_y## and ##\vec r = r (\cos\theta, \sin\theta)## in terms of polar coordinates. Now ##(\cos\theta, \sin\theta)## turns out to be the components of the radial basis vector in cartesian coordinates (a vector along the radial coordinate line in the polar coordinate system). So ##\vec r = r \partial_r##. If you take the time derivative of this vector you get ## \vec r ' = \omega \partial_\theta## where ##\omega = d\theta / dt## is the "rotation" speed and ##\partial_\theta## is a vector lying along the angular coordinate line of the polar coordinate system, having components ##(-r \sin\theta, r \cos\theta)## in the cartesian coordinate system and I assumed that ##r## is constant because we want only rotation. So ##\omega## describes at what speed ##\vec r## rotates.

Because ##\omega = d \theta / dt## then ##\theta(t_1) - \theta(t_0) = \int_{t_0}^{t_1} \omega dt## and if this integral vanishes then ##\theta(t_1) = \theta(t_0)##. So yes the vector was not rotating during the time period from ##t_0## to ##t_1##.

Can we have a formula about this problem?
I am not so sure about your conclusion that the vector will invariant because the rotation around different axes is not commutative. So we can study a specific process: at first we rotate vector around ##x^1##-axis by an angle ##α##, then rotate it around ##x^2##-axis by an angle ##β##, next we rotate it around ##x^1##-axis by an angle ##-α## , at last we rotate it around ##x^2##-axis by an angle ##-β##, Obviously this process can fulfill the condition ##\int \omega(t) dt=0##. then the rotation can be written in such a formula:
$$\exp(-\beta X_2)\exp(-\alpha X_1)\exp(\beta X_2)\exp(\alpha X_1)$$
the rotation matrix equal to 1 only when ##[\exp(\alpha X_1) , \exp(\beta X_2)]=0##. so in most cases this vector is not invariant if ##\int \omega(t) dt=0##. This is the question that puzzles me.

Jianbing_Shao said:
I have a question about a rotating vector field:
if there is a vector ##A^i(t_0)## at the origin in coordinate space ##IR^3## , when ##t≥t_0##, the vector rotates with a changing angular-velocity ##ω^i(t)##. then we can get a rotating vector field ##A^i(t)##. then how to describe ##A^i(t)## using angular-velocity ##ω^i(t)##?
Further more, if ##\theta^i(t_1)\doteq \int^{t_1}_{t_0}\omega^i(t)dt=0##, then can we assert that ##A^i(t_1)=A^i(t_0)##?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking in your first question. The usual formula non-tensor formula would be ##\vec{v} = \vec{r} \times \vec{\omega}##

Here ##\vec{r}## is a displacement vector, so the formula gives a map from the displacement vector ##\vec{r}## to a velocity vector ##\vec{v}##.

I believe the tensor version of the above formula, a map from a displacement r to a vector v, would be:

$$v^i = \epsilon^{ijk} \omega_j \, \wedge \, r_k$$

The ##\wedge## represents the wedge product, see for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterior_algebra#Cross_and_triple_products

##\epsilon^{ijk}## is the 3-d Levi-Civiti tensor.

In four dimensions, the cross product of two vectors is no longer a vector, but a bivector. (I'm not sure if you wanted to ask that, but I thought I'd mention it).

As far as your second answer goes, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly or not, but in general rotations do not commute, so if you rotate an object about different axes, even if the vectors ##\omega^i## representing the rotations sum to zero, the object will in general wind up being rotated.

pervect said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking in your first question. The usual formula non-tensor formula would be ##\vec{v} = \vec{r} \times \vec{\omega}##

Here ##\vec{r}## is a displacement vector, so the formula gives a map from the displacement vector ##\vec{r}## to a velocity vector ##\vec{v}##.

I believe the tensor version of the above formula, a map from a displacement r to a vector v, would be:

The ##\wedge## represents the wedge product, see for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterior_algebra#Cross_and_triple_products

##\epsilon^{ijk}## is the 3-d Levi-Civiti tensor.

In four dimensions, the cross product of two vectors is no longer a vector, but a bivector. (I'm not sure if you wanted to ask that, but I thought I'd mention it).

As far as your second answer goes, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly or not, but in general rotations do not commute, so if you rotate an object about different axes, even if the vectors ##\omega^i## representing the rotations sum to zero, the object will in general wind up being rotated.

You are right, I think the formula:
can also be written in such a form:
$$\partial_t A(t)=(\omega^k X_k)A(t)$$,
Here, ##X_k## represent the generators of rotation group.
and ,my question is if can we use a rotation matrix to describe the changing process of the rotating vector.A matrix such as ##\exp(\theta^i(t)X_i)##, and ##\theta^i(t)## is determined by angular velocity ##\omega^i(t)##.
If we can get such a formula, perhaps we can easily find out the answer of the second question.

Related to Describing a Rotating Vector with Changing Angular-Velocity

1. What is a rotating vector?

A rotating vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the movement of an object in a circular or curved path. It is represented by a directed line segment, with the direction of the vector indicating the direction of rotation and the length of the vector representing the magnitude or speed of the rotation.

2. How is angular velocity defined?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which a rotating object changes its angular position with respect to time. It is defined as the change in angular displacement divided by the change in time, and its units are typically expressed in radians per second.

3. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of the circle or curved path in which the object is rotating. The linear velocity of a point on the rotating object is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius of the circle.

4. How is a rotating vector represented graphically?

A rotating vector can be represented graphically using a vector diagram, which shows the direction and magnitude of the vector. The vector can also be represented by a polar coordinate system, with the angle of rotation and the length of the vector representing the direction and magnitude, respectively.

5. What factors can affect the angular velocity of a rotating vector?

The angular velocity of a rotating vector can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the applied force, the mass and shape of the rotating object, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, changes in the radius of the rotating object's path or the distribution of mass within the object can also impact the angular velocity.