Annihilating a proton or electron

In summary, the electric field energy of a point charge is already included in its mass and the total energy of a charged particle is greater than the total of the initial kinetic and rest mass energies of the particle-antiparticle pair.
Curl
So if the total energy of a particle is E2 = m2c4 + c2p2

what about a charged particle, when you annihilate it you also destroy its electric field, so you get the field energy by collapsing it.

how does this factor in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to throw out a guess, I'd say that it's already included in the mass, or that it is ignored. Not sure honestly.

It would make sense, but then why is the neutron mass larger than that of a protons' ?

Curl said:
what about a charged particle, when you annihilate it you also destroy its electric field, so you get the field energy by collapsing it.
[tex]$\sqrt{m^{2}c^{4}+|\vec{p}|^{2}c^{2}}$[/tex] is the mechanical energy of a particle with rest mass, m, and (relativistic 3-)momentum, p. This energy does not include any other form of energy (such as potential or that stored in an associated field). The total energy of a charged particle is [tex]$\sqrt{|\vec{p}|^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4}}+q\phi$[/tex] where q is the charge of the particle, and [tex]$\phi$[/tex] is the electrical potential acting on the particle (not including the potential due to the particle itself) (wiki: Hamiltonian mechanics).

Curl said:
how does this factor in?
Since [tex]$\phi{q}$[/tex] is negative when the particles have opposite charges, the expression for the energy given above implies that the total energy of the gamma rays produced in the annihilation is less than the total of the initial kinetic and rest mass energies (of the particle-antiparticle pair).

Curl said:
It would make sense, but then why is the neutron mass larger than that of a protons' ?

A proton is composed of two Up Quarks and 1 Down quark, while the Neutron is composed of 1 UP Quark and 2 Down Quarks. Down quarks are slightly more massive than Up Quarks, which makes Neutrons slightly more massive than Protons.

Up quarks have an electric charge of +2/3 while Down Quarks have a charge of -1/3.

Drakkith said:
A proton is composed of two Up Quarks and 1 Down quark, while the Neutron is composed of 1 UP Quark and 2 Down Quarks. Down quarks are slightly more massive than Up Quarks, which makes Neutrons slightly more massive than Protons.

Yeah, maybe, but the answer is not that simple.

The mass/energy of a nucleon consists of its quarks and the binding energy of the gluons. The gluons contribute the majority of the mass. The quarks clock in at only 2-15 Mev each. The masses of the quarks are not known with enough accuracy (to my knowledge) give yield an unambiguous answer.

In addition, there's at least one reason to claim that partitioning the mass between particles makes no sense.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Yeah, maybe, but the answer is not that simple.

The mass/energy of a nucleon consists of its quarks and the binding energy of the gluons. The gluons contribute the majority of the mass. The quarks clock in at only 2-15 Mev each. The masses of the quarks are not known with enough accuracy (to my knowledge) give yield an unambiguous answer.

In addition, there's at least one reason to claim that partitioning the mass between particles makes no sense.

Got a link to somewhere i could find that information?

There's so much. Which parts do you want? I'm not a particle physicists with a proper appreciation of the standard model (or where it fails). But with some luck, one will come by who can tell you all about the knowns and unknowns within the Context of the standard model.

Wikipedia, if you look up 'quark', will give you exact mass/energy values for up and down quarks without error bars. You could go with that and make your claim work, but I think the wiki article is mickey-mouse. Other wiki articles contradict it, by the way.

Last edited:
Contrary to what IsometricPion said, it is true that the field energy of the electron is already included in its mass. This is the point of Einstein's E = mc2; any energy which the electron has in its rest frame translates into inertia (i.e. mass). (Actually, the problem in classical physics is that the field energy of a point particle is infinite, so the non-electromagnetic part of the mass of the electron has to be negative infinity to compensate! Apparently this resolved somehow in quantum field theory).

Is it really infinite? Doing a triple integral over all space for the energy due to a point charge won't give you infinity, it converges. I don't get what you're saying.

Curl said:
Is it really infinite? Doing a triple integral over all space for the energy due to a point charge won't give you infinity, it converges. I don't get what you're saying.

Really? The electric field of a point charge is
[tex]
E \propto \frac{1}{r^2}
[/tex]

So the electrostatic energy density is
[tex]
u \propto E^2 \propto \frac{1}{r^4}
[/tex]

So the total energy is
[tex]
U = \int_0^\infty 4\pi r^2 u(r) dr
\propto \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{r^2} dr
[/tex]

This integral diverges at the zero end.

Curl said:
So if the total energy of a particle is E2 = m2c4 + c2p2
This equation is only true for free particles.

Curl said:

how does this factor in?

To annihilate a particle, you also need an antiparticle. If these are charged, they interact.

Dickfore said:
To annihilate a particle, you also need an antiparticle. If these are charged, they interact.

However, you could consider a neutral pion, which is its own antiparticle (and therefore can decay without interacting with any other particle), yet still has electric potential energy since it consists of charged quarks.

cortiver said:
Contrary to what IsometricPion said, it is true that the field energy of the electron is already included in its mass
You are correct (I was wrong), the field energy associated with the electron's own field (and its interaction therewith) is included in the rest mass. However, the [tex]$\phi$[/tex] term in the second energy equation I gave was the energy due to an external electric field, such as that produced by a positron when considering the annihilation of an electron with a positron, and must be included in addition to the self-energy due to the particle's electromagnetic field (which is included in the "mechanical" energy formula). The wikipedia article on renormalization covers this topic (the divergence of the electron's self-energy and how (conceptually) a finite mass is attained in Quantum Field Theory).

cortiver said:
yet still has electric potential energy since it consists of charged quarks.
That potential energy is part of the mass of the particle.

1. What is the process of annihilating a proton or electron?

The process of annihilating a proton or electron involves the collision of a particle and its corresponding antiparticle, resulting in their mutual destruction and the release of energy in the form of photons.

2. Can a proton or electron be annihilated on its own?

No, a proton or electron cannot be annihilated on its own. Annihilation requires the collision of a particle and its antiparticle to occur.

3. What happens to the energy released during the annihilation process?

The energy released during the annihilation process is converted into photons, which are electromagnetic radiation particles. These photons can then interact with other particles or be emitted as light.

4. Is it possible to reverse the process of annihilation and recreate a proton or electron?

No, it is not possible to reverse the process of annihilation and recreate a proton or electron. When particles and antiparticles annihilate, they are completely converted into energy and cannot be reformed into their original state.

5. How is annihilation used in scientific research or applications?

Annihilation is used in various scientific research and applications, such as in particle accelerators to study the fundamental properties of particles and in medical imaging techniques like positron emission tomography (PET) scans. It is also a key process in understanding the formation and evolution of the universe.