How Fast Must a Puma Jump to Reach 11.5 Feet?

• Thread starter rcwha
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the speed at which a puma must leave the ground in order to reach a height of 11.5ft (3.51m). The correct kinematic equation to use is V^2=Vyo^2 + 2ay, with an acceleration of -9.8 and a final velocity of 0 at the maximum height. By solving for Vyo, the speed needed to reach the desired height can be found.
rcwha
another 2 dimensional problem :(

The best leaper in the animal kingdom is the puma, which can jump to a height of 11.5ft (3.51m) when leaving the ground at an angle of 43 degress. With what speed, must the animal leave the ground to reach that height?

at first i thought i could find the time it took for the puma to get to it's maximum height by setting V=0 but i don't that's right...

i tried using the equation

change in y=(sin43)Vot-.5g(t^2)

with change in y = 3.51 m

but i don't know how to solve for t or Vo

this question would be so much easier if the question gave the horizontal distance but it doesnt..so what do i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a kinematic equation with inital velocity, final velocity, acceleration and displacement. Can you think of one?

HINT: You know the final velocity

~H

is it V^2=Vyo^2 + 2ay

a= -9.8
im assuming final velocity= 0 b/c that's what v is going to = at its max height

thank you...i ended up with the right answer

rcwha said:
is it V^2=Vyo^2 + 2ay

a= -9.8
im assuming final velocity= 0 b/c that's what v is going to = at its max height

thank you...i ended up with the right answer

Spot on. No problem :smile:

~H

FAQ: How Fast Must a Puma Jump to Reach 11.5 Feet?

What is a 2 dimensional problem?

A 2 dimensional problem refers to a problem that involves two variables or dimensions. This means that the problem requires two pieces of information or data in order to be solved.

What are some examples of 2 dimensional problems?

Some examples of 2 dimensional problems include finding the area of a rectangle, determining the coordinates of a point on a graph, and calculating the distance between two points in a plane.

How do scientists approach 2 dimensional problems?

Scientists approach 2 dimensional problems by using mathematical and scientific principles to analyze and solve the problem. This may involve creating equations, making graphs, and conducting experiments to gather data.

What are the benefits of using a 2 dimensional approach to problem solving?

Using a 2 dimensional approach to problem solving allows scientists to simplify complex problems and make them more manageable. By breaking down a problem into two dimensions, it becomes easier to analyze and understand the underlying factors at play.

Can 2 dimensional problems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, 2 dimensional problems can be applied to real-world situations in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. These problems help scientists and researchers understand and solve real-world problems more effectively.

Back