Another Absolute Maximum Question

In summary, we are asked to find the maximum value of a function within a region bounded by a curve. The curve is a semicircle with a vertical line passing through its center. We must consider only the right half of the semicircle as our enclosed region. After finding critical points inside the region and along its edges, we can determine that the maximum value occurs at the maximum boundary of x, which is at x = 1. This is found by equating the derivative to zero along the boundary and then determining that the boundary is at x = 0 or 1.
jegues

Homework Statement

Find the maximum value of the function [tex]f(x, y) = x^{2} - y^{2} + x[/tex] considering only points inside and on the boundary of the region bounded by the curve,

[tex]x = \sqrt{1-y^{2}}, x=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

I drew a quick sketch of the region given and I've found it to be a circle with a vertical line passing through its center. That being said, I didn't know what "half" of the circle was my enclosed region. Is it the left half or the right half? How do you distinguish this?

I continued working while only considering the "right half" as my region.

I found the critical points inside my region and continued to look for critical points along the edges of my region.

I labeled these accordingly, C1 and C2.

I still haven't obtained the correct answer of 2, so I'm not entirely sure what I've done wrong.

Could someone help me out?

Attachments

• AMQ2.jpg
    AMQ2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jegues! :smile:
jegues said:
… I didn't know what "half" of the circle was my enclosed region. Is it the left half or the right half?

you haven't read the question carefully enough :redface:

√ means the positive square root (or zero), so it has to be the right-hand half! :wink:
I found the critical points inside my region and continued to look for critical points along the edges of my region.

you were ok up to h' = 4x + 1 …

since that's always positive (in the region), h reaches a maximum at the maximum boundary of x :smile:

tiny-tim said:

you haven't read the question carefully enough :redface:

√ means the positive square root (or zero), so it has to be the right-hand half! :wink:

you were ok up to h' = 4x + 1 …

since that's always positive (in the region), h reaches a maximum at the maximum boundary of x :smile:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by maximum boundary of x.

Do you mean the largest value of x I can obtain in the region provided? That would simply be x=1.

Therefore h(1) = 2, which would correspond to my absolute max, correct?

Yup! :biggrin:

Why is this different then the standard procedure when checking for critical points along the edge of a region?

I'm used to having to take a derivative and equate it to 0 in order to figure out my point of interest.

What makes this different?

(just got up :zzz: …)
jegues said:
Why is this different then the standard procedure when checking for critical points along the edge of a region?

I'm used to having to take a derivative and equate it to 0 in order to figure out my point of interest.

What makes this different?

It isn't different …

you equate the derivative to zero along the semi-circle boundary …

(if there's a solution, then of course that's your solution, but if there isn't a zero, then …)

with no zero, the solution must be at the boundary of the semi-circle boundary …

looking at it, you'd say the boundary is the two points on the y-axis, but that's wrong because the derivative was wrt x, and x goes from 0 to 1, so the boundary is at x = 0 or 1 :wink:

(and since the derivative wrt x is positive, the maximum must be at x = 1)

Related to Another Absolute Maximum Question

1. What is an absolute maximum?

An absolute maximum is the highest possible value of a function over a given interval. It represents the peak or highest point of the function's graph.

2. How is an absolute maximum different from a relative maximum?

A relative maximum is a high point on a function's graph within a specific interval, while an absolute maximum is the highest point over the entire interval.

3. How do you find the absolute maximum of a function?

To find the absolute maximum of a function, you must first find all critical points (points where the derivative equals 0 or does not exist) within the given interval. Then, evaluate the function at each critical point and at the endpoints of the interval. The highest value will be the absolute maximum.

4. Can a function have more than one absolute maximum?

No, a function can only have one absolute maximum over a given interval. However, it is possible for a function to have multiple relative maximums within the interval.

5. What does the absolute maximum tell us about a function?

The absolute maximum tells us the highest possible value of the function within a given interval. It can be used to determine the overall peak or maximum value of a function, which can be useful in various applications such as optimization problems.