Another annoying one divide zero thread.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the statement that |1/0| > 3 and whether it is true or false. It is concluded that the statement is invalid because 1/0 is not a member of the ordered field of real numbers. The nature of 1/0 is undefined and it cannot be categorized as a number.
uart
Science Advisor
Another annoying one divide zero thread. :)

The statement : | 1/0 | > 3 is,

a) true
b) false
c) invalid

I'm happy enough to say it's true but what do you think?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sure. Just because something is undefined does not mean we can't make some determinations as to it's nature.

Njorl

1/0 is not a member of the ordered field of real numbers, so which ordered set is this a statement about?

Njorl said:
Sure. Just because something is undefined does not mean we can't make some determinations as to it's nature.

Njorl

If it's not defined in the reals, it does not exist among the reals.

Alternatively, you can not make determinations of its nature, if its nature is not defined.

...I think.

I think this all depends how you are defining >. If you are defining the relation > on the set of reals, then the statement is invalid since 1/0 is not a real number.

What type of number is 1/0 then?

Invalid..

|1/0| > 3 = ...

1/0 > 3,
1/0 > -3

Looks like true though its invalid because..

╚> Nevermind..Just try to divide your cake with 0 next time before you eat it..And you will see why its invalid..

I don't think there is a category for the number. I would venture to say imaginary, but I don't know how that would work!

Paden Roder

NSX said:
What type of number is 1/0 then?
It isn't. Its undefined.

FAQ: Another annoying one divide zero thread.

1. What is the concept of dividing by zero?

Dividing by zero is a mathematical operation that is undefined and cannot be performed. It results in an infinite value, which does not exist in the real number system.

2. Why is it considered an "annoying" topic?

The concept of dividing by zero often leads to debates and confusion among individuals, making it a topic that is frequently discussed and can be perceived as annoying.

3. Can dividing by zero ever be valid?

No, dividing by zero is always invalid and results in an undefined value. It is a fundamental rule in mathematics that cannot be broken.

4. What are some real-life examples of dividing by zero?

Real-life examples of dividing by zero include trying to divide a pizza among zero people or trying to calculate the speed of an object that is not moving (dividing by time of zero).

5. Is there a way to avoid dividing by zero?

Yes, by following mathematical rules and avoiding situations where the denominator (the number being divided by) is equal to zero, we can avoid dividing by zero. In some cases, we can also use limits or approach the value of zero without actually dividing by it.