Another Frobenius method ODE

In summary, when using the Frobenius method and getting a 3 term recurrence relation with the form $a_{j+2} = a_j .f(k,j) + a_{j-2}. g(k,j)$ ( j even), the $a_{j-2}$ term can be treated as 0 by setting it equal to 0 and starting the recurrence at $a_1 = 0$.
ognik
Frobenius method - recurrance relation question

If, using the Frobenius method, I get a 3 term recurrence relation of the form $a_{j+2} = a_j .f(k,j) + a_{j-2}. g(k,j)$ ( j even), how do I treat the $a_{j-2}$ term at first? I have found $a_1 = 0$, but how do I find a value for $a_{-2}$ so as to start the recurrance?

Addendum: I found a solution to this but it just says $a_{-2} = 0 = a_{-4}$ by definition. This is very unsatisfying, I use the indicial eqtn to find $a_1$ - but just assume $a_{-2} = 0$ 'by definition? Can anyone shed any more light on this please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to this problem is to observe that the recurrence relation is homogeneous, which means that $a_n = 0$ for all $n<0$. This is because if $a_n = 0$ for all $n<0$, then the recurrence relation will evaluate to 0 for all negative values of n. Therefore, we can set $a_{-2} = 0 = a_{-4}$ to start the recurrance.

1. What is the Frobenius method for solving ODEs?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to solve second-order ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with variable coefficients. It involves assuming a power series solution and solving for the coefficients using a recurrence relation.

2. When is the Frobenius method applicable?

The Frobenius method is applicable when the ODE has a regular singular point, meaning that the coefficients of the highest and second-highest order terms are both singular at that point. It is also applicable when the ODE has at least one solution that can be expressed as a power series.

3. How do you determine the radius of convergence for the Frobenius series?

The radius of convergence for the Frobenius series can be determined by using the ratio test on the coefficients of the power series solution. If the limit of the ratio of consecutive coefficients is less than 1, then the series converges. The radius of convergence is the absolute value of the distance from the singular point to the nearest point where the series diverges.

4. Can the Frobenius method be used to solve non-homogeneous ODEs?

Yes, the Frobenius method can be extended to solve non-homogeneous ODEs by adding a particular solution to the general solution obtained from the power series. The particular solution can be found using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to the Frobenius method?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Frobenius method. It can only be used for ODEs with singular points, and the radius of convergence of the power series solution may be limited. Additionally, it may not be applicable for ODEs with non-constant coefficients or for ODEs with repeated roots at the singular point.