1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another moment question, completely lost

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I attached the drawing.
    The force of magnitude F acts along the edge of the triangular plate. Determine the moment of F about point O.

2. Relevant equations

M=rxF

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I did was I just picked the top left point of the triangle and labeled that (0,h) which give me my r vector 0i+hj. After that I really don't know how to proceed except to find the angle by doing inverse tangent of h/b, but I just keep getting variable after variable. What other way is there to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

First thing, you didn't attach a drawing????

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
  5. Aug 28, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

You had that M = r * F

you need to find r, which is the distance from O to the closest point on the hypotenuse [lets call that point D.

Similar triangle work comparing the original triangle to the triangle ODX where X is either the point you decided to call (0,h) or the other corner of the triangle.

6. Aug 28, 2011 #5
    i'm a little confused by r. is it always the "closest" distance from the point you're revolving around or can it be any point in the line of action of the force? Like can you pick any point on the hypotenuse in this case, even though it'll be easier to make 1 of the 2 corners?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook