Why isn't there a voltage when touching different batteries with a multi meter?

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
In summary, to measure voltage using a multi meter, you need a complete circuit for a small current to flow and charge the input capacitance of the DMM. An exception to this is if the DMM is on AC voltage measurement and the two leads are held in your hands, which may result in a small AC voltage measurement due to AC mains noise.
jaydnul
So i was dinking around with my multi meter and i noticed that if you touch the positive end of a battery and the negative end of a different battery, there isn't a voltage being measured. Why is that. I would think that an excess of electrons would want to rush to any area that had a depletion of electrons, even if it wasn't in the same battery.

Engineering news on Phys.org
lundyjb said:
So i was dinking around with my multi meter and i noticed that if you touch the positive end of a battery and the negative end of a different battery, there isn't a voltage being measured. Why is that. I would think that an excess of electrons would want to rush to any area that had a depletion of electrons, even if it wasn't in the same battery.

You need a complete circuit to measure a voltage. A small current has to flow to charge up the input capacitance of the DMM and to drop a voltage across the input resistance of the DMM. Without a real complete circuit, you don't have that.

An exception to that is if you put your DMM on AC voltage measurement, and hold the two leads with your two hands. You will likely see a small AC voltage, which is from AC mains noise coupled capacitively into your measurement...

What is "Another newbie question"?

"Another newbie question" refers to a common phrase used by people who are new to a particular subject or field, and are seeking clarification or assistance.

Why do people ask "Another newbie question"?

People ask "Another newbie question" because they are seeking help or clarification on a topic that they are not familiar with. It is a way for them to learn and gain a better understanding of the subject.

Is it okay to ask "Another newbie question"?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask "Another newbie question". Asking questions is an essential part of the learning process and it shows that you are actively trying to understand and improve your knowledge.

How can I ask "Another newbie question" effectively?

To ask "Another newbie question" effectively, make sure to provide context and be specific about what you are trying to understand. Also, avoid asking questions that can easily be answered by doing a quick internet search.

What should I do if I am too embarrassed to ask "Another newbie question"?

If you are too embarrassed to ask "Another newbie question", you can try doing some research on your own first or ask a friend or colleague who is more knowledgeable on the subject. You can also try reaching out to online communities or forums for help and support.