Help! Tarzan and Jane Need Swing Advice!

• Thread starter Port
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swing
In summary, Tarzan and Jane, with a total mass of 130kg, start their swing on a 5m long vine at a 30 degree angle. Jane releases the vine at the bottom of the arc and the question is asking for the maximum height at which Tarzan can land on a branch after continuing his swing. The solution involves using the total mechanical energy conservation law twice, taking into account the varying masses of Tarzan and Jane. The final answer is dependent on the difference in height between the start and end of the swing, as well as the velocity at the end of the swing.
Port
i kinda also need help on another problem. i can't even start this problem because i have no idea how! can someone please tell me how?

Tarzan and Jane, whose total mass is 130kg, start their swing on a 5m long vine when the vine is at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. At the bottom of the arc, Jane, whose mass is 50kg, releases the vine . What is the max height at which Tarzan can land on a branch after his swing continues?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the application of total mechanical energy conservation law,taking into account the data offered by the problem and a correct drawing which would reflect the unknowns.
HINT:U have to apply this law twice.
Daniel.

ok i got up to this part and i am stuck:
KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf
0J+mgh=1/2mv^2+0J
h=5cos30
h=4.3m
v=6.5m/s
so now what do i do? where do i do this for next and how do i apply it to MEi=MEf? i am very confused!?

Port said:
ok i got up to this part and i am stuck:
KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf
0J+mgh=1/2mv^2+0J
h=5cos30
h=4.3m
v=6.5m/s
so now what do i do? where do i do this for next and how do i apply it to MEi=MEf? i am very confused!?

Did u forget the previous problem??The setup is basically the same,it's just that in this case,the masses vary.So your "h" is again a DIFFERENCE.

Daniel.

but if i use the same formula with the different masses they cancel out anyway don't they??

Not for the second case,when Tarzan is left all by himself.The mass in one side of the eq.is Tarzan's mass,while on the other side,it's the mass of the 2 "swingers"... :tongue2:

Daniel.

You posted this already... did you look at my response?

1. What is the purpose of "Help! Tarzan and Jane Need Swing Advice!"?

The purpose of "Help! Tarzan and Jane Need Swing Advice!" is to provide guidance and tips for Tarzan and Jane on how to improve their swing technique in order to swing across vines and avoid danger in the jungle.

2. Why do Tarzan and Jane need swing advice?

Tarzan and Jane need swing advice because swinging is a crucial skill for survival in the jungle. It allows them to navigate through the dense forest and escape from dangerous animals.

3. What factors should Tarzan and Jane consider when swinging?

Tarzan and Jane should consider the strength and flexibility of the vines, the direction and speed of the wind, and their own body weight and momentum when swinging. They should also be aware of any potential obstacles or hazards in their path.

4. How can Tarzan and Jane improve their swing technique?

Tarzan and Jane can improve their swing technique by practicing regularly, maintaining a strong grip on the vines, and using their legs to generate momentum. They should also try to swing in a smooth and fluid motion, rather than jerky movements.

5. Are there any safety precautions Tarzan and Jane should take when swinging?

Yes, Tarzan and Jane should always make sure they have a firm grip on the vines and avoid swinging too high or too far. They should also be aware of their surroundings and avoid swinging near dangerous animals or over bodies of water. Wearing protective gear, such as gloves, can also help prevent injuries.