1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another one

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    i kinda also need help on another problem. i can't even start this problem cuz i have no idea how! can someone plz tell me how?

Tarzan and Jane, whose total mass is 130kg, start their swing on a 5m long vine when the vine is at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. At the bottom of the arc, Jane, whose mass is 50kg, releases the vine . What is the max height at which Tarzan can land on a branch after his swing continues?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider the application of total mechanical energy conservation law,taking into account the data offered by the problem and a correct drawing which would reflect the unknowns.
    HINT:U have to apply this law twice.
    Daniel.

4. Jan 13, 2005 #3
    ok i got up to this part and i am stuck:
    KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf
    0J+mgh=1/2mv^2+0J
    h=5cos30
    h=4.3m
    v=6.5m/s
    so now what do i do? where do i do this for next and how do i apply it to MEi=MEf??? i am very confused!?

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did u forget the previous problem??The setup is basically the same,it's just that in this case,the masses vary.So your "h" is again a DIFFERENCE.

Daniel.

6. Jan 13, 2005 #5
    but if i use the same formula with the different masses they cancel out anyway don't they??

7. Jan 14, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not for the second case,when Tarzan is left all by himself.The mass in one side of the eq.is Tarzan's mass,while on the other side,it's the mass of the 2 "swingers"... :tongue2:

Daniel.

8. Jan 14, 2005 #7
    You posted this already.... did you look at my response?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?