1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another practice question: nortons theorem

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    hi guys, sorry to be a bothersome newbie but i have another electrical query. this time its nortons theorem. i need to determine the current through RL, the voltage across RL and the power developed in RL using the theorem.

any pointers on where to start would be really appreciated :!!)

Attached Files:

• 22.bmp
      File size:
      21.3 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2
    R(Norton) = R (Thevenin).
    I(Norton) = [E/(R1+(R2//R3))]*[(R2//R3)/R3]

4. Mar 27, 2007 #3
    thanks nacer, i'd best get to work :)
  5. Mar 27, 2007 #4
    ok forgive my naivety but what do the double backslashes indicate? // like that? i know the single one is divide. i feel really retarded now.
  6. Mar 27, 2007 #5
    I think he is referring to a parallel combination, i.e R1//R2 = (R1*R2)/(R1+R2)

Norton equivalent is no different from Thevenin. Norton equi. = Current Source with a resistor in parallel and Thevenin has voltage source and resistor in series. So, basically you can apply your knowledge of Thevenin equivalents from antoher thread :biggrin: and then just replace a thevenin equ that you'll get with Nortons
  7. Mar 28, 2007 #6
    thanks guys :) i appreciate it! can anyone tell me why r4 is not considered when calculating the current (using the equation given by nacer) would i just have to apply that formula to the diagram above to find the norton current?
  8. Mar 28, 2007 #7
    Every resistor excluding Rl&R4 has to be considered, because you're looking for so-called short-circuit current, so when you have a direct connection between the RL terminals, where does the current go? Since the current is looking for the easiest path, the path with least resistance, it will go just via a direct connection, rather then going via R4.

Check out this link to get more info.

I suggest that you read up on the Nortons procedure.

1. Calculate the short-circuit current by applying the direct connection between output terminals
    2. Calculate output resistance by replacing the voltage source with a short-circuit
    3. Norton-source = short-circuit current & Output resistance = resistance from step 2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?