Can anyone help with thevenins and nortons theorem

• Thread starter keatescarn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation is about a question on networks that involves using Thevenins and Nortons theorem to determine the current and voltage in a given circuit. The speaker has attached a diagram and has calculated the Nortons resistance to be 3.958ohm and Nortons to be 1.768ohm, but is unsure how to proceed with the rest of the question. They are also clarifying the values they have obtained and asking for help with the calculations.
keatescarn
Can anyone help with thevenins and nortons theorem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to do a textbook question on networks,

the question is ,, use thevenins and nortons theorem to determine the current flowing and the voltage across RL in the network diagram,

i have attatched the diagram.

i got the nortons resistance to be 3.958ohm
i got nortons to be 1.768ohm

i don't know how to do the rest.

Attachments

• networks diagram 1.JPG
    networks diagram 1.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you arrive at these two values? Do you mean the first value to be the Thevenin resistance? Whether you are calculating the Norton or Thevenin equivalent resistance for the same circuit, you should obtain the same value.

I would suggest seeking assistance from a qualified instructor or tutor for further clarification and understanding of Thevenin's and Norton's theorems. These theorems are fundamental concepts in electrical circuit analysis and it is important to have a strong understanding of them in order to effectively solve problems like the one you have described. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available that provide step-by-step explanations and examples for applying these theorems. It is important to thoroughly understand the concepts and principles behind these theorems before attempting to solve complex problems. With practice and guidance, you will be able to successfully apply Thevenin's and Norton's theorems to solve circuit problems.

FAQ: Can anyone help with thevenins and nortons theorem

1. What is thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis that allows us to simplify a complex network into an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistance. This simplification is useful for solving complex circuits and understanding the behavior of a network.

2. What is norton's theorem?

Norton's theorem is similar to Thevenin's theorem, but instead of simplifying a network into a voltage source and a resistance, it simplifies it into a current source and a resistance. This theorem is also useful for solving complex circuits and analyzing their behavior.

3. How do you calculate the thevenin equivalent resistance?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance is calculated by removing all the sources in the original network and finding the equivalent resistance between the two terminals where the source was connected. This can be done by using techniques such as series and parallel equivalent resistances.

4. Can Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, for AC circuits, the equivalent resistance and source must be calculated using complex numbers and impedances instead of regular resistance values.

5. How do you determine the value of the Thevenin or Norton equivalent source?

The value of the Thevenin or Norton equivalent source can be determined by finding the open-circuit voltage at the terminals where the original source was connected. This can be done by using techniques such as voltage division or mesh analysis. For Norton's theorem, the value of the current source is also equal to the short-circuit current at the same terminals.