1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin's Theorem and Norton's Theorem

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    Hi guys, I'm stuck with determining how will I solve this circuit using Thevenin's and Norton's Theorem.

Given Problem: From the circuit (which is in the image), find the voltage across a 6-ohm resistor using Thevenin's Theorem and Norton's Theorem.

The attempt at a solution

Using KVL on the four loops, I will get:

7Ia - 6Ib = 12 ---- Equation 1
    13Ib - 3Ic = 3 ---- Equation 2
    -15Ic + 7Id = 3 ---- Equation 3
    7Ic - 9Id = 9 ---- Equation 4

and here I don't know what's next.

Our professor gave this problem without teaching the principles of Thevenin and Norton's Theorem. So a short discussion while solving the problem is much appreciated. Thank you. ^^

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Start by reading your textbook about Thevenin and Norton equivalents. If you don't have a textbook, Wikipedia has a decent summary of them. Describe to us what the theorems say you can do. (Don't get too bogged down in how to find them. I just want you to get the idea of what you're trying to do.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook