1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another question on ranks (linear algebra).

1. Feb 5, 2007 #1
    i need to prove that for A square matrix: rank AA^t=rank A.
    well rank AA^t<=rank A, but how do i show that rankAA^t>=rankA, i mean i need to show if x is a solution of AA^tx=0 then x is a solution of Ax=0 or of A^tx=0, but how?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2
    You are trying to show that the transpose of an nxn multiplied by itself has the same or less rank? I would use the definition of matrix multiplication, and then transpose, and do Gauss elimination (probably on a 2x2). There may be a more subtle way, but the forceful approach should work.

4. Feb 5, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Let U = {x : AA^t x = 0}, and V = {x : A^t x = 0}. Assume you have already shown that dim V <= dim U (which implies r(A) >= r(AA^t) ), and now assume dim U > dim V (which would imply r(A) > r(AA^t) ) and find a counterexample (it's simple). When you have shown that dim U > dim V can't hold, then dim U = dim V must hold, and hence r(A^t) = r(A) = r(AA^t). Hope this works.

5. Feb 5, 2007 #4
    i dont think this would work, cause in ad absurdum proofs you need to get a logical contradiction, not a counter example, perhaps im wrong here and you are right, but i dont think so.

6. Feb 5, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Actually, that's what's bothering me, too. If we assume it holds for any matrix, could a 'proof by counterexample' work? Guess some of the PF mathematicians should take over on this one.

7. Feb 5, 2007 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can show this directly from the singular value decomposition of A.

Let the SVD of A be U.D.V^T where D is the diagonal matrix of singular values. Write the SVD of A.A^T in terms of U D and V, and show that A and A.A^T have the same number of zero singular values, hence the same rank.

There is a similar proof involving eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

There is probably a similar but more "elementary" proof involving choosing a set of basis vectors where a subset of the basis vectors spans the null space of A - but I haven't thought idea that right through.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?