Another relativity question check =P

• Thread starter jianxu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the distance traveled by a pion in its own frame and in the lab's frame, as well as the approach of using special relativity to solve the problem. The summary also includes a brief explanation of how time dilation and the lorentz transformation can be used to find the distance traveled by the pion in the lab's frame.
jianxu

Homework Statement

It seems this question is a little too easy? I'm a little skeptical so could someone please do a quick check for me?
The pion is an elementary particle that decays with a mean lifetime in its rest frame of 2.6x10^-8s. A beam of pions has a speed of 0.79c.
a) In the frame of the pion, how far does the lab travel in one mean lifetime.
b) what is the distance in the lab's frame

Homework Equations

distance = speed * time

The Attempt at a Solution

so for part a, I simply multiplied the speed and the time to determine how far the pion travels and then simply use that as the distance.

for part b, the answer simply has to be zero because in the lab's frame, the lab doesn't move but the pion moves. I assume I can prove this through galilean transformations as well.

These answers seem too simple for some reason and just want to make sure these answers are correct. Thanks! =D

Physics news on Phys.org
jianxu said:

The Attempt at a Solution

so for part a, I simply multiplied the speed and the time to determine how far the pion travels and then simply use that as the distance.
Good.

for part b, the answer simply has to be zero because in the lab's frame, the lab doesn't move but the pion moves. I assume I can prove this through galilean transformations as well.
I'm sure that they mean the distance the particle moves in the lab frame. (Not how far the lab moves in the lab frame! :-p)

You'll have to use special relativity, not galilean, since the speed is a high fraction of lightspeed.

Doc Al said:
(Not how far the lab moves in the lab frame! :-p)

You'll have to use special relativity, not galilean, since the speed is a high fraction of lightspeed.

Hehe the question didn't specify =P but in terms of the pion's distance in the frame of the lab, I used lorentz transformations to approach this problem and used the following equations:

x' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](x - v*t)
t = mean lifetime of the pion
v = speed of pion
x = location of pion itself which is zero if we used the pion's frame of reference as the original

[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 1/[tex]\sqrt{1-(v^2/c^2)}[/tex]

since the speed is given as .79c I imagine the c cancels out in the square root so that for [tex]\gamma[/tex] I get
[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 1/[tex]\sqrt{1-(.79^2)}[/tex]
with that in mind, I plugged in the other values for the lorentz transformation so that
x' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](0m - 0.79c * 2.6X10^-8)

I'm a little uncertain about the x but hopefully I have the general idea? Any advice would be great =P

That looks fine. Here's another (equivalent) way to look at it. Consider the decaying pion as a moving clock and apply time dilation to figure out the decay time in the lab frame:

[tex]\Delta t' = \gamma \Delta t[/tex]

Then you can use the old "distance = speed * time", just like you did in the first part.

ah I see, that is due to the fact both observers sees the same velocity and therefore we just need to apply the [tex]\gamma[/tex] multiplied by the time to find the t'(the term with x in it goes to zero)which will ultimately give us distance. Thanks for all the help ^_^

FAQ: Another relativity question check =P

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how objects move and interact with each other in the universe, taking into account the concepts of space and time. There are two main theories of relativity: special relativity and general relativity.

2. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory that describes the laws of physics in a universe where there is no gravity. It explains how objects move in relation to each other when they are moving at a constant velocity. It also shows that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant speed.

3. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory that explains the effects of gravity on objects in the universe. It shows that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy. It has been confirmed through various experiments and is a crucial part of our understanding of the universe.

4. How does relativity affect our daily lives?

Relativity has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as GPS systems, which use the principles of special relativity to accurately determine location. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects at very high speeds, such as in particle accelerators. Additionally, general relativity has been used to explain the behavior of black holes and the expansion of the universe.

5. Is the theory of relativity proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. However, like all scientific theories, it is subject to change and refinement as new evidence and technologies become available. So while it is widely accepted by the scientific community, it is always open to further investigation and development.

Back