Calculating Fill Time for a Cylindrical Grow-Out Tank | Water Flow Question

• Thread starter majin
  • Start date
In summary: So you're trying to get to seconds (time) right off the bat. In summary, the question involves finding the time it would take to fill a cylindrical grow-out tank with a height of 2m, diameter of 8m, and 10% freeboard, using an inlet pump delivering 25 litres of water per minute through a 25mm pipe. The 4 spray outlets are irrelevant and the pipe is cylindrical. To find the time, you can either divide the delivery rate (1.5 m3/s) into the tank volume (90.47786842 m3), or calculate the volume of the pipe (pi*h*r*r) and divide it into the tank volume. It is important to pay attention
majin
I am stuck on questions like this can anyone help
How long would it take to fill a cylindrical grow-out tank (2m high, 8m diameter, 10% freeboard) from an inlet pump delivering 25 litres of water every minute through a 25mm pipe that has 4 spray outlets?

first of all I know that the 4 spray outlets are irrelevant to the quetion and are a decoy. as well as this i know that the pipe is cylindrical

tank volume with freeBoard =90.47786842
25 L/min converts into 0.025 m3/min
to get that into m3 per sec(delivery rate) I times it by 60=1.5m3/sec

So to get the answer do I divide the delivery rate(1.5) into the tank volume i.e(90/1.5) OR do I use the delivery rate as a height(h) variable and work out volume of pipe i.e(pi*h*r*r)and then divide the volume of the pipe into the tank volume i.e(vt/vp) to get the amount in secs? any help will be greatly appreciated

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's one odd pump, delivering 0.025 m3/min but 1.5m3/sec.

You can't use the delivery rate as a height variable because height is measured in metres and delivery rate is m3/s or similar. It's always good to look at the units: volume is m3, delivery rate is m3/s.

To calculate the fill time for the cylindrical grow-out tank, we will need to use the formula V = πr²h, where V is the volume, r is the radius, and h is the height.

First, we need to calculate the volume of the tank with freeboard. Using the given dimensions, we can plug them into the formula: V = π(4m)²(2m) = 100.53m³.

Next, we need to convert the water flow rate from liters per minute to cubic meters per second. We can do this by multiplying the flow rate (25 liters per minute) by the conversion factor of 0.001. This gives us a flow rate of 0.025m³/s.

Now we can use the formula t = V/Q, where t is the time, V is the volume, and Q is the flow rate. Plugging in the values, we get t = 100.53m³/0.025m³/s = 4021.2 seconds.

However, we need to account for the freeboard in the tank. Since the tank has a 10% freeboard, we need to add an additional 10% to the volume. This gives us a final volume of 110.58m³.

Using the same formula, t = V/Q, we get t = 110.58m³/0.025m³/s = 4423.2 seconds.

Therefore, it would take approximately 4423 seconds (or 73.7 minutes) to fill the cylindrical grow-out tank with the given dimensions and water flow rate.

Related to Calculating Fill Time for a Cylindrical Grow-Out Tank | Water Flow Question

1. What is "Another stumpy question" about?

"Another stumpy question" is a phrase that does not have a specific meaning or context. It can be interpreted in different ways depending on the context in which it is used.

2. Is "Another stumpy question" a scientific term?

No, "Another stumpy question" is not a scientific term. It is a common phrase that is used in everyday language and does not have a specific scientific definition or usage.

3. Why is "Another stumpy question" frequently asked?

Because the phrase does not have a clear meaning, it often leads to confusion or curiosity, prompting people to ask what it refers to or why it is being used.

4. Can "Another stumpy question" have a scientific explanation?

Technically, any phrase or concept can be explained scientifically. However, "Another stumpy question" does not have a specific scientific significance or relevance, so it may not have a scientific explanation in that sense.

5. Is there any significance to the word "stumpy" in "Another stumpy question"?

The word "stumpy" is often used to describe something that is short or truncated in appearance. In the context of "Another stumpy question," it may imply that the question is brief or incomplete, or that it is difficult to understand. However, this is just one possible interpretation and there is no set significance to the word in this phrase.