1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another stumpy question

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1
    I am stuck on questions like this can anyone help
    How long would it take to fill a cylindrical grow-out tank (2m high, 8m diameter, 10% freeboard) from an inlet pump delivering 25 litres of water every minute through a 25mm pipe that has 4 spray outlets?

first of all I know that the 4 spray outlets are irrelevant to the quetion and are a decoy. as well as this i know that the pipe is cylindrical

tank volume with freeBoard =90.47786842
    25 L/min converts into 0.025 m3/min
    to get that into m3 per sec(delivery rate) I times it by 60=1.5m3/sec

So to get the answer do I divide the delivery rate(1.5) into the tank volume i.e(90/1.5) OR do I use the delivery rate as a height(h) variable and work out volume of pipe i.e(pi*h*r*r)and then divide the volume of the pipe into the tank volume i.e(vt/vp) to get the amount in secs? any help will be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

verty

Homework Helper

That's one odd pump, delivering 0.025 m3/min but 1.5m3/sec.

You can't use the delivery rate as a height variable because height is measured in metres and delivery rate is m3/s or similar. It's always good to look at the units: volume is m3, delivery rate is m3/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?