1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti derivative of f'(x)=4/(1-x^2)^(1/2) yields TWO possible answers?

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the anti derivative of f'(x)=4/(1-x^2)^(1/2) when f(1/2)=1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem is as follows: aren't f(x)=4arcsin(x)+c and f(x)=-4arcos(x)+c both perfectly good anti derivatives of f'(x)? In this case, if I plug f(x) in as 1 and x in as (1/2), in the first case I find c to be 1-(4pi)/6, and in the second case I get c to be 1+(4pi)/3. I MUST be wrong somewhere!

Thanks so much for all of your help, so far you guys at physicsforums have been beyond helpful!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Notice that (depending on how you define things) arccos(x)=-arcsin(x)+1. So things are equal up to a constant.

Let me do the same thing for another integral, so you can see what is going on. Let [itex]f^\prime(x)=2x[/itex] with f(0)=1. Then [itex]f(x)=x^2+c[/itex] and [itex]x^2+1+c[/itex] are both perfectly good anti derivatives of f'(x). However, if you plug in 0 in the first, then you find c=0. And in the second, you find c=-1.

The solution of course is that you are using two different c's. So you gave two different things the same name. It would be better in my example to say [itex]f(x)=x^2+c_1[/itex] and [itex]x^2+1+c_2[/itex].

And in your case, it's better to say f(x)=4arcsin(x)+c1 and f(x)=-4arcos(x)+c2.

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3
    Thank you very much that makes sense now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook