1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti-diff(sqrt(x^2+1)/x)dx from 1 to 2

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1
    Anti-diff(sqrt(x^2+1)/x)dx from 1 to 2

I have tried so many formulas and spent so much time on this and cant find a solution with working out, can someone please help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Problems with a square inside a square root always make me think immediately of a trig substitution. [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] and, dividing by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]tan^2(\theta+ 1= sec^2(\theta)[/itex]. That tells us that if we let [itex]x= tan(\theta)[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ 1}= \sqrt{tan^2(\theta)+ 1}= sec(\theta)[/itex]. Of course, [itex]dx= sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex] so the integral becomes
    [tex]\int \frac{sec(\theta)}{tan(\theta)}sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex]

Now convert everything to sine and cosine: [itex]sec(\theta)= 1/cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]tan(\theta)= sin(\theta)/cos(\theta)[/itex]

4. Sep 5, 2008 #3
    Ok thanks for the fast reply, and i got down to anti-diff(1/(sinu*(cosu)^2)du), which i cant integrate any better than the first question i posted, can u point me in the right direction?

5. Sep 5, 2008 #4
    Well you could write 1 as [tex]sin^2(\theta)+cos^2(\theta)[/tex] and then it will come down to finding the integral of [tex]sec(\theta)tan(\theta)[/tex] plus the integral of [tex]csc(\theta)[/tex].

Now the first is well-known and has antiderivative [tex]sec(\theta)[/tex] so that's not a problem. It's not too hard to derive the antiderivative for [tex]csc(\theta)[/tex] but you could always look it up.

6. Sep 5, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Use integration by parts. Rewrite it as sec^2 u csc u before doing so.

7. Sep 5, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since that involves an odd power of sine, there is a standard method for it. Here the sine is in the denominator but we can multiply both numerator and denominator by sin(x) to get
    [tex]\int \frac{sin u}{sin^2 u cos^2 u}du= \int \frac{sin u}{(1- cos^2u)cos^2 u}du[/itex]
    Now let y= cos u so dy= -sin u du or sin u du= -y dy. The integral becomes
    [tex]\int \frac{dy}{y(1-y^2)}= \int \frac{dy}{y(1-y)(1+y)}[/tex]
    which can be done by "partial fractions".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?