Any device to measure sound frequency below 20 Hz?

In summary, the conversation suggests using an accelerometer to measure sound frequency below 20 Hz. The accelerometer would require a +5V supply and give a buffered voltage output that is proportional to acceleration. The sensitivity needed is around 1-2 Hz buffer range. An Analog Devices ADW22035Z is recommended for the signal output, but additional signal processing may be needed for frequency display. Alternatively, an electret microphone or array of electret microphones could be used, but may require larger coupling capacitors and a higher gain amplifier. Additional details about the frequency range and sound level would be helpful in determining the best approach.
oem7110
Does anyone have any suggestions on what device can measure sound frequency below 20 Hz?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
How sensitive does it need to be?
What about an accelerometer?
I "built" one using a single IC a few weeks ago, there are single ICs out there that only require a +5V supply and will give you a buffered voltage out that is proportional to the acceleration. Very easy to use.

(all I did was to solder 3 wires to the chip, and then I glued the whole thing to the top of a screw to make it stable and easier to attach to things)

f95toli said:
How sensitive does it need to be?
What about an accelerometer?
I "built" one using a single IC a few weeks ago, there are single ICs out there that only require a +5V supply and will give you a buffered voltage out that is proportional to the acceleration. Very easy to use.

(all I did was to solder 3 wires to the chip, and then I glued the whole thing to the top of a screw to make it stable and easier to attach to things)

Sensitive is around 1-2 Hz buffer range.
I also need to display the frequency in Hz, could you please give me any suggestions on what kind of IC I need and device to display the Hz in number? where can I purchase it online?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Last edited:
I used an Analod Devices ADW22035Z

http://www.analog.com/en/mems-sensors/low-g-accelerometers/adxl103/products/product.html

This will give you a signal out, but it will just be the waveform (although that will of course be true for a microphone as well). Note that an accelerometer measures vibrations , i.e. you need to bolt it to something that is vibrating.

If you want the frequency you need some signal processing as well, either you can but something (expensive) or build it (complicated unless you are good at DSP).
Alternatively, you could connect the accelerometer to a computer using a DAQ (about £100) or even the line-in input of a soundcard if you happen to have a card with a frequency response below 20 Hz; and the do the signal processing using software.

f95toli said:
This will give you a signal out, but it will just be the waveform (although that will of course be true for a microphone as well). Note that an accelerometer measures vibrations , i.e. you need to bolt it to something that is vibrating.

I want to measure sound frequency, and cannot bolt device into object that is vibrating.
Do you have any suggestions what device I should use and can purchase it available on market?
Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Last edited:
Have you tried an electret microphone, or an array of electret microphones? You may need to use larger coupling capacitors and a higher gain amplifier, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

For a good solution to this problem it would be good to know a few more details - like what range of frequencies is involved and what level of sound. You say you haven't anything to 'bolt something to" but you could very easily make a tuned cavity (box with a hole in - or an old sub-woofer, cannibalised) that could couple your sound to a microphone, making it very sensitive to the low frequency. Tuning would not be of such benefit if you need to measure more than a narrow frequency range (unless you could trim it each time).

1. What is the use of a device that measures sound frequency below 20 Hz?

A device that measures sound frequency below 20 Hz is used to detect and analyze low frequency sounds that are not audible to the human ear. These sounds can come from sources such as earthquakes, vibrations, and machinery. This device is commonly used in scientific research, engineering, and environmental monitoring.

2. How does a device measure sound frequency below 20 Hz?

Most devices that measure sound frequency below 20 Hz use a microphone to pick up the sound waves and a filter to remove any higher frequency sounds. The signal is then amplified and sent to a processor which calculates the frequency and displays it on a screen. Some devices may also use other methods such as a piezoelectric sensor or a laser interferometer.

3. Can a device measure sound frequency below 20 Hz accurately?

The accuracy of a device that measures sound frequency below 20 Hz depends on various factors such as the quality of the microphone, the sensitivity of the filter, and the precision of the processor. Generally, these devices can provide accurate readings within a certain range, but may have limitations in detecting very low frequency sounds.

4. Is there a difference between measuring sound frequency below 20 Hz and above 20 Hz?

Yes, there is a difference between measuring sound frequency below 20 Hz and above 20 Hz. Our ears are more sensitive to sounds within the range of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, so devices that measure frequencies above this range are more commonly used. Additionally, low frequency sounds tend to have longer wavelengths and require specialized equipment to accurately measure and analyze.

5. What are some potential applications of a device that measures sound frequency below 20 Hz?

A device that measures sound frequency below 20 Hz has various potential applications. It can be used in geological studies to detect and monitor seismic activity, in noise pollution control to measure low frequency noise levels, and in structural health monitoring to detect vibrations in buildings and bridges. It can also be used in music production to analyze low frequency sounds in recordings and performances.