Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any free equation editor?

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    Hello, do anyone know a website where we can download for free 'equation editor' or any program to write math equations easily, which can be used on microsoft word? Thank you..:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just write in LaTeX and forget word entirely. The results are so much better.

www.ctan.org

4. Apr 12, 2007 #3
    Hello Mag|cK,

An easy to follow instruction on how to install Latex on Windows can
    be found here

Just in case you're using Adobe Reader 8.0 together with
    the Latex editor "TexnicCenter", read this
    for a bugfix.

Instead of "TexnicCenter", you can also use WinEdt as
    Latex editor.

After installing the MikTex and TexnicCenter (or WinEdt),
    read this good tutorial:
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/

5. Apr 12, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All you need to create LaTeX is the LaTeX installation and a *good* text editor. That would mean Vim or Emacs. TexnicCenter is truly awful: it is quite clearly a programming IDE that has been hacked to work for LaTeX and it shows (to compile the latex source is non-obvious, try the build menu. To view the output is even more non-obvious since that too is on the 'build' menu, and not the 'view' menu - that would be too sensible).

WinEDT is better, but still pointless, and has license issues (it is not 'free', though you can keep installing the trial perioid 'free' version).

Heck, you can even just use word to create LaTeX documents if you're really mad.

(These are just personal opinions - others will disagree and say WinEdt is the best thing since sliced bread. Buying a good manual is worth far more than getting a license for WinEdt.)

6. Apr 12, 2007 #5

uart

Science Advisor

Mag|cK, you should take a look at Abiword ( http://www.abisource.com ). It's a free word processor available for both Windows and Linux and it has a fairly nice latex based equation editor.

7. Apr 12, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Apr 12, 2007 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

TexAide is very good, but creating the wordprocessing document depends on what the word processor will accept. Microsoft Word and WordPad seem to not accept the equations nor expressions copied from TexAide; only the TexAide code become pasted. The wordprocessing program called Jarte WILL ACCEPT the actual equations or expressions. Jarte comes as a freeware version and a shareware version is also available. (See http://www.jarte.com)

9. Apr 12, 2007 #8
    TC may not be very well-designed, but it's not buggy and it works as advertised. A few minutes will get you used to its quirks. I don't use any of its "helper" functionality, but I wouldn't use that with any sort of IDE. It's certainly far preferable to writing TeX in Word!

10. Apr 12, 2007 #9
    OpenOffice.org

11. Apr 13, 2007 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And so does Emacs (or Vim). Still, if people want to use unnecessarily complicated pointless interfaces good luck to them. Personally, I can't think of any editor that is better than Vim with the LaTeX extension. Just think of all the nice features:

delete x numbers of characters, delete the next word, delete the next line, delete the next x words/lines, transpose these two letters, latex document, view latexed document, complete reference, close tag, `g auto-extends to \gamma,

all on a couple of key strokes.

12. Apr 13, 2007 #11
    I've actually never used vim with the extension. I'll have to give it a try.

13. Apr 13, 2007 #12
    Lyx is free and works well. I've used it to write the odd paper, and you can also cut and paste formulae from it into this forum.

14. Apr 13, 2007 #13
    Thx, uart. I have downloaded abiword, but i cant find any equation editor in it. Where is it? or do i have to download extra file?

15. Apr 13, 2007 #14
    I have downloaded the plugin for equation editor. But how to make roots or fractions? like 1/2 or x^0.5 to appear with the appropriate symbols

16. Apr 13, 2007 #15
    As pointed out by others, your best bet is to install a TeX distribution. If you're running Windows, MiKTeX is the best way to go. For an introduction to LaTeX and the TeX system, you can't go wrong if you read the Not so Short Introduction to LaTeX.

17. Apr 14, 2007 #16

uart

Science Advisor

Ok here's the part where you actually have to learn some basic latex commands. Don't be discouraged if it looks complicated at first, just concentrate on learning the most basic features like fractions, square-root, indices (superscripts) and subscripts for now. You'll soon find it becomes very fast and easy to use.

Essentially what you're doing with AbiWord is using latex only for the equation environment while maintaining a more familiar word processor type environment for the main body of the document. This is really an easy way into latex, which is much more powerful than just an equation editor, it's a full text setting program. After you become more familiar with using Latex for just the equations in your documents you may even decide to try using full latex for entire documents. At least AbiWord gives you any easy way to get started on learning some Latex maths commands.

BTW. If you click on any of the formatted equations in these forums then you'll see the latex commands which generated them. This can be a good way to get some ideas on how to do various things in Latex. Start with simple equations first and you'll soon get the hang of it.

Some examples

Fractions :

[tex] \frac{a+b}{c} [/tex]

[tex] \pi \neq \frac{p}{q}[/tex]

Indices :

[tex] E = m c^2 [/tex]

[tex] e^{a+b} = e^a e^b [/tex]

Subscripts

[tex]y_1 = x_1 + x_0 [/tex]

[tex] A_{k2} = A_{k1} + 1 [/tex]

Square Root (and putting a few of the above things together) :

[tex] \lambda = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4 a c} } {2a} [/tex]

Make sure you learn the meaning and usage of the the special symbols "{", "}" and "\" as an absolute priority before starting ok.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  18. Apr 14, 2007 #17

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As an aside, you can also click on the equations in this forum to reveal the latex code used to general them.

19. Apr 14, 2007 #18
    It is remarkable how nobody mentioned Scientific... :P

Anyways, LaTeX is by far the best, and if you are interested in becoming a mathematitian, sooner or later you should learn to use it.

20. Apr 14, 2007 #19

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Scientific... Word"?

21. Apr 14, 2007 #20

uart

Science Advisor

Well not really that remarkable considering that the OP specifically asked for a free program and Scientific Word is up to $630.00 USD for a single user licence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?