Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good suggestions on SR/GR

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    Hello Guys!!

Everything in this subject absolutely fascinates me to no end! Ive been trying to gain an intuitive understanding of the subject and it seems I can only do so in brief episodes! Particularly if I take a break and come back, It seems to make sense! For the few seconds it lasts its great! Then, not much unlike a vivid dream, it seems to dissipate. From there the harder I think the more aggravated I get:cry:

I was wondering if there is a preferred method or system to help better understand GR, particularly Lorentz laws, Light cones, Time dialation and Minkowski spacetime. I realize a strong mathematical background is important if not required criteria for these subjects. Right now I have a calculus tutor in preperation for some calc. courses I have coming up in April.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd suggest Bondi's "Relativity and common sense", which is a dover paperback. I would then suggest following up with something like Taylor & Wheeler's "Space-time physics".

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Learn to draw and interpret spacetime diagrams.
    Learn to think geometrically and "invariantly" (e.g. vectors not [coordinate-dependent] components).

5. Oct 14, 2007 #4
    Thanks Guys!!! I love this site!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?