Any Interesting Problems I could try to solve?

• B
  • Thread starter UncertaintyAjay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for interesting physics and mathematics problems to challenge themselves. They are directed to the INSIGHTS button on the Physics Forums page, but are informed that it only has quizzes. The person then describes a double slit experiment with a twist and a perfect sphere with a reflective inner surface. They mention attempting a problem involving trigonometry, but later realize they made a mistake. The conversation ends with a reminder that these types of questions should be posted in the homework forums.
UncertaintyAjay
What with college essays and things these past few months, I've been a bit physics starved. I am looking for some interesting physics( and mathematics) problems to get my brains physics side whirring again. So please, fire away!

Physics news on Phys.org
Click on the INSIGHTS button at the top of the Physics Forums page.

Likes just dani ok
Yeah, but Insights don't have problems. Just quizzes like " Think You Know Richard Feynaman?"

The articles are fantastic and I love reading them, but I am looking for something to solve

a double slit experiment with a little twist where second slit has defferent width than the first. say wavelength is 500 nm. width of the slits are 10 and 20 microns. distance between center of the slits 100 micron.
the screen is 5 meters from the slit.
where is the central bright and first dark of both sides?

Likes UncertaintyAjay
a perfect sphere has perfectly reflective inner surface. drill a hole on its surface and light a laser pointer to it with 25 degree angle to the radius. how many times the laser beam is reflected before it gets out?

I like the first one. I've attempted to get the central maxima:d1=10microns, d2 = 20 microns and do= 100 microns. I'm not entirely sure its right though. But its a good sum, I'm enjoying doing this.
IMG_20151128_120335.jpg

Actually, hold on a bit, I think I know what I did wrong . messed up the trigonometry big time, just ignore that .

This I think is the right one:
IMG_20151128_122353.jpg

These are homework type questions, which should be answered in the homework forums, and follow the normal standards of PF, meaning that images of solutions are frowned upon.

Thread closed.

Related to Any Interesting Problems I could try to solve?

1. What makes a problem interesting to solve?

A problem can be considered interesting if it has not been solved before, if it has real-world applications, or if it challenges existing theories and assumptions.

2. How do I come up with interesting problems to solve?

One way to come up with interesting problems is to read scientific literature and identify gaps in knowledge or areas that need further exploration. You can also observe the world around you and think about common problems that people face.

3. What are some common approaches for solving interesting problems?

There are many different approaches for solving interesting problems, depending on the nature of the problem. Some common approaches include experimentation, data analysis, mathematical modeling, and computer simulations.

4. How do I know if my solution to an interesting problem is valid?

Validity of a solution to an interesting problem can be determined through peer review, where other scientists in the field review and critique the methodology and results. Replicating the experiment or study can also help validate the solution.

5. Can I collaborate with other scientists to solve interesting problems?

Yes, collaboration with other scientists is often beneficial when solving interesting problems. It allows for a diverse range of perspectives and expertise, and can lead to more innovative and robust solutions.