Any pet odor removers that actually work?

• Thread starter Noisy Rhysling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet Work
In summary, while enzymatic cleaners may be required for some time after other products have been used to break down uric acid, they are generally effective in removing pet odor.
Noisy Rhysling
Too many on the market, too many promises. Is there certain chemicals that I should look for when I'm shopping for pet odor removal products?

Move okay. (Chemistry? General?)

Biology news on Phys.org
I use Natures Miracle and it helps for cat urine. Not perfect, but it's the best I've found.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I use Natures Miracle and it helps for cat urine. Not perfect, but it's the best I've found.
I used their repellant spray and my cat peed on it.

Likes jim mcnamara and Bystander
My experience.
In order of strength.
Bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda.
Bleach has worked for me on pet thrashed houses.
I have de-skunked dogs and things with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.
YMMV

Having grown up with cats I've noted it is often a health problem. If they are uncomfortable when peeing they seem to associate it with the place they are using, so they try somewhere else. I happened across an article about the behaviour and remembered this thread. The article starts out about dogs but quickly moves on to cats. Hope it helps!

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/animals-stress-behavior-dogs-cats/

BTW - if you have a male cat , neutering reduces the intensity of the stink of male cat urine.

Enzymatic cleaners are required to break down uric acid (and felinine) to stop thiol synthesis by bacteria. Period. The End. - that is the stuff that stinks like H&LL.
EDIT: felinine is the source of sulfur.

And according to this article, cat pee has a 'half life' of 6 years. It also explains why enzymatic cleaners are required. And why cats pee on areas you previously cleaned/deodorized with other products. As @Noisy Rhysling said 'and my cat peed on it'

http://catcentric.org/care-and-health/removing-cat-urine/

Felinine, 2-amino-3-propanoic acid, is a molecule in cat urine and is a precursor by microbial action of the putative cat pheromone and thiol called 3-mercapto-3-methylbutan-1-ol. Another smell bad. So old cat pee "communicates" long after the cat has peed and passed through the area.

Last edited:
Likes krater

1. What are the common ingredients used in pet odor removers?

Pet odor removers usually contain enzymes, which break down the organic compounds that cause odors. They may also contain surfactants, which help to lift and remove stains. Some products also use natural ingredients like vinegar or citrus oils to neutralize odors.

2. Can pet odor removers be used on all types of surfaces?

Most pet odor removers are safe to use on a variety of surfaces, including carpets, upholstery, and hard floors. However, it is always important to read the instructions and test the product on a small, inconspicuous area before using it on a larger surface.

3. How do pet odor removers actually work?

Pet odor removers work by breaking down the molecules that cause odors and removing them from the surface. The enzymes in the product target the specific compounds found in pet urine, feces, and other organic materials, effectively eliminating the odor.

4. Are pet odor removers safe for pets and humans?

Most pet odor removers are safe for both pets and humans when used according to the instructions. However, it is important to keep pets and children away from the area being treated until the product has dried completely.

5. Do pet odor removers have any long-term effects on surfaces?

When used as directed, pet odor removers should not have any long-term effects on surfaces. However, using excessive amounts of the product or leaving it on the surface for too long may cause discoloration or damage. It is important to follow the instructions and thoroughly rinse the area after using the product.