Any 'science' jobs for undergraduates

In summary, the person is currently studying biology and living with their parents but wants to move out due to an insufferable situation. They are looking for a full-time job in the science field while going to school at night. Suggestions include becoming a lab technician or assistant, although the duties may not involve much science work. Other options include checking with the student employment office, asking professors for job opportunities, and looking into IT positions or high school outreach programs. Temp agencies that specialize in science/tech may also have job opportunities.
torquemada
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing undergrad studies in biology, and I live with my folks. The thing is, I need to move out and live on my own, because the situation is insufferable and gets worse every day. I was wondering if there is anything in any sort of science area that I can get full time work in, however basic, while I go to school at night, so I can support myself and live on my own? Or do I need to at least have a bachelor's in said science field to get any sort of basic science job, and if I want to work full time now I'm going to have to settle for something outside the realm of science? Any ideas/links/advice is truly appreciated r! Thanks so much in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lab Tech/Assistant, although, I'm not sure you would be doing anything which consititutes science work. Your duties would probably have more in common with a restaurant dish washer.

Ok that sounds like a good start - thanks for the reply :) - i wonder though if simply being in that environment would be uplifting and motivating, being surrounded by science taking place. Surely for someone interested in science it's the lesser of two evils compared with, say, for example, full-time at starbucks? :D

Indeed, although a lab may look fondly at your hypothetical starbucks work experience during the selection process.

Any job, would be a good job if you have no work experience. As they say, beggars can't be choosers etc.. etc..

- check the student employment office as they often will be aware of any posted local positions and can help you establish some contacts
- ask around your department and associated departments (start with your own professors)
- if you're technically savvy, some departments will hire IT staff to assist with maintaining their networks
- high school outreach programs are sometimes run by lab techs

Not sure where you are, but if you have temp agencies there, try them - especially the ones that specialize in science/tech. They place a lot of lab techs. They aren't great jobs but like everyone said, they give fantastic work experience, and you get your foot in the door somewhere.

Good luck!

What types of science jobs are available for undergraduate students?

There are a variety of science jobs available for undergraduate students, including lab assistants, research assistants, science tutors, and science camp counselors. These roles can often be found within university research labs, educational institutions, and private companies.

Do I need prior experience to get a science job as an undergraduate?

Prior experience is often preferred, but not always required for science jobs as an undergraduate. Some roles may have specific requirements, such as lab or research experience, but others may be open to students with little to no prior experience. It's always a good idea to highlight any relevant experience or coursework on your resume and cover letter.

Are science jobs for undergraduates paid?

Many science jobs for undergraduates are paid, but the amount can vary greatly depending on the role and the organization. Some jobs may offer hourly wages, while others may provide stipends or scholarships. It's important to research the specific job or program to determine if it is paid or not.

Can I get a science job as an undergraduate if I am not majoring in a science-related field?

Yes, it is possible to get a science job as an undergraduate even if you are not majoring in a science-related field. Many science jobs value skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail, which can be developed through a variety of majors. It's always a good idea to highlight any relevant coursework or skills in your application materials.

How can I find science jobs for undergraduates?

There are several ways to find science jobs for undergraduates, including checking job boards, networking with professors and peers, and attending career fairs. University career centers and science departments may also have resources and job postings specifically for undergraduate students. It's important to start your search early and be persistent in your efforts.