Any special tricks for this integral?

• Thread starter georgeguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral of sin(101x)*(sinx)^99 dx and suggests using integration by parts, which may take a lot of time. The conversation also mentions a possible trick of replacing the sines with their exponential definition, but it is quickly dismissed. The expert then provides a step-by-step solution using integration by parts and concludes with the final result of the integral.
georgeguy
I think you can use integration by parts to do the integral below.
But, it's going to take a lot time to do it that way.

Does anyone know any special tricks to simplify the integrand and
then evaluate the integral?

integral of sin(101x)*(sinx)^99 dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps replacing the sine's with their exponential definition will help. Welcome to PF by the way.

[tex]\frac{\left(e^{-i x}-e^{i x}\right)^{99} \left(e^{-101 i
x}-e^{101 i x}\right)}{1267650600228229401496703205376}[/tex]

how does that help?

incidentally the integral is

[tex]\frac{1}{100} \sin ^{100}(x) \sin (100 x)[/tex]

interesting the exponent goes up by one and the argument of the sine goes down by one

Sorry, at that moment of time I did not have any paper to work with, so I just said the first thing I may have tried, though I quickly see it does not help. However, I am at home now, so give me a few minutes to solve this through.

Ok well since [tex]\sin (x+y) = \sin x \cos y + \cos x \sin y[/tex], [tex]\sin (101x) = \sin (100x) \cos x + \cos (100x) \sin x[/tex], so the integral becomes:

[tex]\int \sin^{99} x \cos x \sin (100x) dx + \int \sin^{100} x \cos (100x) dx[/tex].

Let these integrals be called I_1 and I_2 respectively, with the desired result being the sum.

For the first integral, use integration by parts, with [tex]u= \sin (100x), dv = \sin^{99} \cos x dx[/tex], so that [tex]du = 100\cos (100x) dx, v = \frac{\sin^{100}x}{100}[/tex].

The integration by parts formula yields:

[tex]I_1 = sin (100x) \frac{\sin^{100}x}{100} - \int \frac{\sin^{100}x}{100} 100 \cos (100x) dx = \frac{ \sin^{100}x \cdot \sin (100x) }{100} - \int \sin^{100}x \cos (100x) dx

= \frac{ \sin^{100}x \cdot \sin (100x) }{100} - I_2[/tex].

Hence, [tex]I_1 + I_2 = \frac{ \sin^{100}x \cdot \sin (100x) }{100} + C [/tex].

Good enough?

Last edited:

1. What is the best strategy for solving difficult integrals?

The best strategy for solving difficult integrals is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This could involve using integration by parts, substitution, or other techniques. It's also helpful to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and properties.

2. Can I use special tricks to solve integrals faster?

Yes, there are certain techniques and tricks that can make solving integrals faster. These include trigonometric substitutions, partial fraction decomposition, and recognizing patterns and symmetries in the integral.

3. How do I know what substitution to use for an integral?

Choosing the right substitution for an integral can seem daunting at first. However, a good rule of thumb is to look for a function within the integral that resembles the derivative of another function. This can be determined by using the chain rule.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

One common mistake to avoid when solving integrals is forgetting to include the constant of integration. Another mistake is to overlook the use of the fundamental theorem of calculus, which can greatly simplify the integration process.

5. Can I use technology to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many online and computer programs available that can solve integrals step-by-step. However, it's important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration in order to effectively use these tools and verify the results.