Anybody having trouble w/ Windows Explorer search?

In summary, a lot of people are having problems with the search function in Windows 10, but people's problems are never addressed in the discussion. People are saying that the only "fix" is to reset the computer, which is inconvenient. Google is said to be more effective than Windows 10's search function.
gmax137 said:
In win 10 the command prompt is hiding in PowerShell; you have to type "cmd" there.
In Windows 10 the command prompt is in C:\WINDOWS\system32, and PowerShell is in

C:\Windows\System32, also. . .

1586597738041.png
1586597867491.png

1586598780594.png

1586599984511.png

You can use PowerShell to run cmd, but you don't have to. . .

1586601829667.png
You can also copy and paste in either program. . . . 😏

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
OCR said:
In Windows 10 the command prompt is in C:\WINDOWS\system32, and PowerShell is in C:\Windows\System32, also. . .
Yeah, PowerShell is the new improved version but I've never bothered to learn it, I just use the old DOS standard when I need cmd. Nice thing about Win10 is that you can put a link to it in the window that comes up when you click on the windows icon (lower left) or hit the Windows button, just like you can with PowerShell.

As I recall, however, there are a couple of old DOS cmd's that won't work in the Windows version but PowerShell is more powerful if you care to learn it.

The DOS cmd does not quite look like the version in PowerShell, it specifically mimics the old DOS window.

1586610015643.png

I access command prompt via PowerShell only because in Windows explorer, you can shift right click and pick PowerShell off the menu (just like the way i could access cmd in previous windows versions).

gmax137 said:
I access command prompt via PowerShell only because in Windows explorer, you can shift right click and pick PowerShell off the menu (just like the way i could access cmd in previous windows versions).
Huh? I must be doing something wrong. I can't get what you are saying to work as you say. Shift right-click WHERE?

sorry. in windows explorer, click on the directory to select it, then shift-rightclick to open a menu. mine has "open"
"open in new process
etc
etc
" open PowerShell wi dow here"
click on that
edit: windows 10

Last edited:
gmax137 said:
sorry. in windows explorer, click on the directory to select it, then shift-rightclick to open a menu. mine has "open"
"open in new process
etc
etc
" open PowerShell wi dow here"

click on that
Yes, that is exactly what I did. There is no "open in new process" option.

phinds said:
Yes, that is exactly what I did. There is no "open in new process" option.
Maybe this. . . ?

1586654749733.png

1586654838574.png

sorry @phinds I'm just a user with very shallow understanding. I certainly can't explain why I see a different menu.

phinds said:
The DOS cmd does not quite look like the version in PowerShell, it specifically mimics the old DOS window.

View attachment 260385
I changed the colors in mine. . . . 😉

1586656682017.png

gmax137 said:
sorry @phinds I'm just a user with very shallow understanding. I certainly can't explain why I see a different menu.
Ah, I bet you mean this. . . ?

1586657985405.png

gmax137 said:
Maybe this. . . ?

View attachment 260419
EXACTLY what do you do to get that menu? Are you running Windows 10 Home, Pro, what?

OCR said:
Ah, I bet you mean this. . . ?

View attachment 260424

EXACTLY what did you do to get that menu? What version of windows are you running? Home? Pro? What?

phinds said:
What version of windows are you running? Home? Pro? What?
1586658688727.png

1586658729608.png

phinds said:
EXACTLY what did you do to get that menu?
Hold the Shift key and RMC (right mouse click) on. . . This PC.

1586659501668.png

Or this. . .

1586660410770.png

OCR said:
Hold the Shift key and RMC (right mouse click) on. . . This PC.
Thank you. That is very clear. It gives me exactly the same menu as you with the single exception that there is no "open in new process" in mine.

OCR said:
Or this. . .
Ah HA. THAT works on my system. Thanks. I see that this makes it easier to use Power Shell at the start since you can get to the desired folder via Explorer clicking rather than having to type type the whole path into Power Shell.

phinds said:
Ah HA. THAT works on my system.
Very good. . . . 👍 .

I have Windows 10 Enterprise; this is a company laptop. When I shift-right_mouse_click with the cursor on my "Documents" folder:
MENU1.jpg

But if I move up in Windows Explorer to the "This PC" folder and do the same I get a different menu:

MENU2_thisPC.jpg

So maybe there are settings our IT group includes when they build the laptop, the affect how this works.

Likes phinds
phinds said:
Reasonable suggestions but unlikely since it started for me at the same time as for, apparently, LOTS of others. I've rebuilt the search index, no joy. I've run the Windows trouble shooter for search, no joy, I've stopped and restarted Cortanta, no joy. I've tried a lot of really loud cussing, no joy (but some slight relief).
My only shot, if your goal is to open up a program, is to have some files from the program in question in your desktop. Double-clicking on them will open them up , as well as the program in question.

pbuk said:
I hit the windows key and typed "Se" and it offered me "Search permissions and history" so I kept typing and by the time I got to "Search" I was offered "Windows Search Settings". Scroll down there and you'll see "Advanced indexing settings" where you can force it to search .dll files for strings if you really want to.Were you watching while you typed? When I hit the Windows key and type "pr" it offers me "Printers and Scanners", which is what you want. If you ignore it and keep typing "printer que" then it, quite reasonably, assumes you didn't want what it had already offered you and so offered you an internet search instead.

In both these cases the Windows 10 behaviour follows well the principle of least surprise for me at least.
Problem in my case is that typing in produces no response, no input. But I am typing this from the keyboard, so not likely a driver issue. EDIT: For this "subsituation" of searching for a program, at least a Windows program, you can hit or click on the Windows key and select "Windows accessories', and, if youre lucky-enough that nothing else is wrong, you'll get a drop menu. ( Not my original; read it at Answers Wiki )

Last edited:
phinds said:
Not sure I ever even had XP but what are the features there that are not in 7 and 10? I find that 7/10 search is excellent. What am I missing?

Change the width of the columns, sort the list, select more than the default columns.

The Windows XP search window was far superior to the Windows 10 one. The indexing is much better in 10 but the polish on the results window is crap.

BoB

And now I lost track of my SQL Server Config Manager. It seems it has been moved like 3 times that I remember. Used to be part of SSMS, then somewhere in Control Panel, now disappeared and harder to find without the search box.

rbelli1 said:
Change the width of the columns
works fine for me in Win10
sort the list
works fine for me in Win10
select more than the default columns.
works fine for me in Win10So, basically, I have no idea what you are talking about

Likes rbelli1
WWGD said:
Problem in my case is that typing in produces no response, no input. But I am typing this from the keyboard, so not likely a driver issue. EDIT: For this "subsituation" of searching for a program, at least a Windows program, you can hit or click on the Windows key and select "Windows accessories', and, if youre lucky-enough that nothing else is wrong, you'll get a drop menu. ( Not my original; read it at Answers Wiki )
This sounds like the problem in the OP, which is an intermittent bug that only seems to be (temporarily) cured by rebooting. I had it once, but then it got better again - good luck!

Likes WWGD
phinds said:
So, basically, I have no idea what you are talking about

I've only ever seen the search results in the "Content" view mode. That mode is mostly useless.

Now I see that this can be changed to details and all of those things are available.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

BoB

Likes phinds
rbelli1 said:
I've only ever seen the search results in the "Content" view mode. That mode is mostly useless.

Now I see that this can be changed to details and all of those things are available.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

BoB
What are you talking about? I open File Explorer, and check in ALL of the menus; I find no setting for Content view mode.

symbolipoint said:
What are you talking about? I open File Explorer, and check in ALL of the menus; I find no setting for Content view mode.
Yeah, I was also wondering what that is. I don't find any such thing.

phinds said:
Yeah, I was also wondering what that is. I don't find any such thing.
This. . .? . 🤔

1593687438507.png
Probably not. . .Carry on.

Ah. I see. Yeah, "tiles" and the "icon" selections don't allow for variable columns because they are dictated by the size of the icon/tile. That's irrelevant to the issue's you brought up, but I see your confusion.

Post #100,
Why did we not see that?

This is a very unusual display for the File Manager. Does really fix the Search feature of File Manager? Only way to know is search for something.I am guessing here, need to select Contents in the View menu and then click This PC in the left panel, and then try the Search. I will test try this for mp3 files, if any, as "*.mp3".

..., over five minutes and the search still not done yet. This takes too long.

Finally after about 8 minutes a list of mp3 files was shown in the main panel. NOT shown and not indicated was WHERE they are (what file directory path?).
(the right-click menu gives a couple of options for finding directory path.)

OCR said:
This. . .? .

Yes. I almost always get that view when I search.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Yes. I almost always get that view when I search.

BoB
Then you should switch to the "detail" view if you want more manipulation of the results. I find that the icon view is basically useless. The image views can be useful if you are specifically looking for images.