Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anybody here ever have a concussion?

1. Dec 25, 2013 #1
    Hey Everyone,

Weird question, but has anyone who has had a concussion in the past noticed a marked degradation in their ability to preform cognitively at the same level after their concussion?

The background is I hit my head on the ground yesterday and I can't get to the doctor until Friday. I'm a graduate student and I'm just wondering what other people's experiences were like and whether their is a possibility that I would notice something in my work going forward.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, we can't provide medical advice here, it's against our policy.

You really should find a way to see a doctor sooner than Friday.

4. Dec 25, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Why didn't you go to the ER? When I got a concussion, I was taken by ambulance to the ER.

There is no way we can guess if anything went wrong.

5. Dec 25, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you hit your head and have noticed " a marked degradation in their ability to preform cognitively", that is pretty much the definition of "emergency". You should go to the ER. Now.

6. Dec 26, 2013 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If one feels a change in one's mental/cognitive faculties following a head trauma, one should go to the hospital emergency room (ER) as others have suggested.

The severity of the condition depends on what part of the brain is injured and whether or not blood vessels rupture, whether or not there is a pre-existing condition, one's age, etc. One extreme case is that of actress Natasha Richardson, who had what appeared to be a 'miinor fall'. Well that incident produced was became a fatal injury that required immediate medical intervention.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20090318/natasha-richardsons-fatal-brain-injury-faq

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/health/20braincnd.htm [Broken]
    Head/brain injuries are very serious.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook