Anybody here who could explain to me in the simplest terms what is so

In summary, the Lie group SO(8) is special because it has two spin representations and one vector representation, all of which have the same dimension of 8. This is different from other Lie groups where the dimensions of these representations may vary. Triality is a concept related to the symmetry of the Lie group Spin(8) and is an automorphism of the group. It is discussed in more detail in the Wikipedia article on the topic.
Lapidus
Anybody here who could explain to me in the simplest terms what is so special about the Lie group SO(8) and what is meant by triality?

I know some Lie and representation theory, mostly from physics books. As I understand there are vector and spinor representations for so(n). If n is even, there are two spin reps and one vec rep, if n is odd there is one spin rep and one vec rep.

For example, for n=4 there are the two 2-dim Weyl spinors and the one 4-dim vec representation.

so(8) is special, since the dim of the two spin reps and the one vec rep is ithe same, 8.

Now, how do these two spinors look for so(8)?

They say triality gives the symmetry of Spin(8), not of so(8), it is an automorphism of Spin(8). What does that mean?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the meaning of "Anybody here who could explain to me in the simplest terms what is so"?

"Anybody here who could explain to me in the simplest terms what is so" is a phrase commonly used to express a desire for a simple and clear explanation of a complex topic or idea. It implies that the person asking the question wants a basic understanding of the concept before delving into more detailed explanations.

2. Why do people use this phrase?

People often use this phrase when they are struggling to understand a complicated subject or when they want to make sure they have a solid foundation of knowledge before moving on to more complex information. It can also be used to encourage others to explain something in a way that is easy to understand.

3. Is there a specific context in which this phrase is used?

This phrase can be used in a variety of contexts, including in academic settings, professional discussions, and casual conversations. It is often used when discussing scientific or technical topics, but can also be applied to any subject that may be challenging to comprehend.

4. Does this phrase have a negative connotation?

No, this phrase does not necessarily have a negative connotation. It simply expresses a desire for a clear and concise explanation. However, it may be perceived as impatient or condescending if used in a dismissive or rude manner.

5. How can I use this phrase effectively in a conversation?

If you want to use this phrase in a conversation, make sure to do so politely and respectfully. It can be helpful to explain why you are struggling to understand the topic and to actively listen to the response so that you can ask follow-up questions if needed. Additionally, be aware of the tone and body language you use when saying this phrase to avoid coming across as rude or impatient.