Anyone else notice this with their diet?

• Thread starter SticksandStones
  • Start date
In summary, this person goes to the gym and exercises, but their appetite is suppressed after working out. They suggest eating more protein and carbs right after working out to make sure the body has enough energy to continue rebuilding muscle.
SticksandStones
I go to the gym 6 or 7 days a week from 45 to 90 minutes at a time. On those days I usually eat between 1800 and 2400 calories. For breakfast I'll eat french bread with some jelly. For lunch I'll eat an apple with peanut butter. For dinner I'll eat whatever I can get my hands on.

Today my legs were too sore to talk to the gym so I decided to take a break. Unfortunately today so far I've eaten: my normal breakfast, spaghetti for lunch, an apple with peanut butter, over a litre of Sprite, half a pizza, and some chips with salsa. Far more than what I normally eat.

This seems to happen every time I don't workout. What's the deal? Shouldn't I be more hungry on the days I workout?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you're eating out of boredom, or to make up for something missing (excercise) the same way someone eats more when giving up smoking.

Unfortunately today so far I've eaten: my normal breakfast, spaghetti for lunch, an apple with peanut butter, over a litre of Sprite, half a pizza, and some chips with salsa. Far more than what I normally eat.

Holy crap dude! I usually only eat 1500 calories a day and I still can't lose weight! I think what's happening is your body has been losing fat and muscle and its trying to recover some of that. This does happen to me at times but I have some to get used to being hungry 24/7 so I have sort of gotten use to it.

Seriously, a LITER of sprite! You have to stay away from that stuff. Even if your not on a diet.

I find that immediately after working out I'm not as hungry as I might be... I think it's like the contrapositive of how eating a lot makes you tired; when your body can't afford to be tired, you don't eat a lot. I'm basically just making this up though

If you honestly work out as much as you say, you need to eat more than that.

Office_Shredder said:
I find that immediately after working out I'm not as hungry as I might be... I think it's like the contrapositive of how eating a lot makes you tired; when your body can't afford to be tired, you don't eat a lot. I'm basically just making this up though

That happens to me, too. My appetite is suppressed after working out - at least for a couple hours.

your body is replacing glycogen it lost during the workout. but really, you should eat more protein, especially right after the workout and the next 24 hours.

1. "Why do I feel bloated after eating certain foods?"

Bloating after eating certain foods can be caused by a variety of factors, including food intolerances, overeating, and a lack of digestive enzymes. It is important to pay attention to which foods specifically cause bloating and to adjust your diet accordingly.

2. "Is it normal to experience changes in appetite when starting a new diet?"

Yes, it is normal to experience changes in appetite when starting a new diet. Your body is adjusting to a new way of eating and it may take some time for your appetite to regulate. It is important to listen to your body's hunger and fullness cues and make adjustments to your diet as needed.

3. "Why do I feel tired and lethargic after eating a large meal?"

This could be a sign of overeating or consuming foods high in simple carbohydrates, which can cause a spike in blood sugar followed by a crash. It could also be a sign of food sensitivities or intolerances. It is important to pay attention to your body's reaction to certain foods and make changes to your diet accordingly.

4. "Can a change in diet affect my mood?"

Yes, a change in diet can affect your mood. Certain foods, such as those high in sugar and processed carbohydrates, can cause fluctuations in blood sugar levels which can affect mood and energy levels. Eating a balanced diet with a variety of whole foods can help stabilize mood and energy levels.

5. "Why do I experience cravings for certain foods on my diet?"

Cravings for certain foods can be a result of nutrient deficiencies, emotional triggers, or simply a habit. It is important to address the underlying cause of cravings and find healthier alternatives to satisfy them. Making sure your diet is well-rounded and includes all necessary nutrients can also help reduce cravings.