Anyone from Atlantic Canada here? If so, do you understand this ad

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary, the ad campaign is aimed at attracting older shoppers with the promise of big savings on items such as groceries and clothing. Some people are angry about the campaign because it is seen as disrespectful, while others find it amusing.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone from Atlantic Canada here? If so, do you understand this ad campaign? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

We have tons of Irving Circle-K stations here in Maine, George, but I haven't seen the ad campaign. Had to Google it to see what the excitement was about.

Huh. What's the big deal?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/05/24/nb-geezeraid-campaign.html".

Other than simply using the word geezer to refer to elderly people, I see nothing disparaging about it. It's not like it's making fun of them. In fact, they're sort of making geezage look fashionable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC426913 said:

Some guy doesn't like it.

A lot of people are angry about it. Personally, I am mainly confused; I don't understand the advertizing idea.

George Jones said:
A lot of people are angry about it. Personally, I am mainly confused; I don't understand the advertizing idea.
It is loosely consistent with the shock and awe campaign that also gave rise to the bloody zit ads:
bloodyzit1.jpg

I have no idea who the target audience is for this ad campaign. However, the guy that thought of it probably didn't figure on all the free publicity it would attract.

Well, it's not like you see a lot of elderly people coming out of Circle-K stores carrying huge slushies, anyway. It's more often youngsters with baggy over-sized pants.

DaveC426913 said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/05/24/nb-geezeraid-campaign.html".

Other than simply using the word geezer to refer to elderly people, I see nothing disparaging about it. It's not like it's making fun of them. In fact, they're sort of making geezage look fashionable.

Good Grief! Do they have an XXL for 3.49?
Thanks,
Geezerette

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacy33 said:
Good Grief! Do they have an XXL for 3.49?
Thanks,
Geezerette
All the calories (and none of the nutrients) that you need for a whole day! Such a deal!

FAQ: Anyone from Atlantic Canada here? If so, do you understand this ad

1. What is Atlantic Canada?

Atlantic Canada refers to the region on the east coast of Canada, consisting of the provinces of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

2. Why is the ad specifically asking for someone from Atlantic Canada?

The ad is likely looking for someone from Atlantic Canada because they may have specific knowledge or experience related to the product or service being advertised. It could also be a marketing strategy to target a specific demographic in that region.

3. What does "understand this ad" mean?

"Understand this ad" means that the person from Atlantic Canada is familiar with the language and cultural references used in the ad and can interpret its intended message or purpose.

4. Can someone from outside of Atlantic Canada still apply for the job or service being advertised?

It depends on the specific requirements of the job or service. If the ad is looking for someone with knowledge or experience specific to Atlantic Canada, then it is unlikely that someone from outside of the region would be a suitable candidate. However, if the ad is open to applicants from all regions, then someone from outside of Atlantic Canada may still apply.

5. Are there any benefits to being from Atlantic Canada for this job or service?

It is difficult to determine the benefits without knowing more about the specific job or service being advertised. However, being from Atlantic Canada may provide a deeper understanding of the local culture and market, which could be beneficial in certain roles.

Back