Anyone here got accepted at MIT as an undergraduate?

In summary: If you are not focused on finding a job after you graduate, then you are doing it wrong. I applied to the UT, so who knows, might go there. Good decision!
Werg22
I am applying there and I was just wondering if anyone here got accepted there as an undergraduate. What did your application looked like?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did. Uh, what do you want to know specifically?

They already gave out the results for those who were admitted didn't they?

balletomane said:
I did. Uh, what do you want to know specifically?

Well, did you arrange an interview? How did it go? What did you score on your SAT's? What do your grades look like? What kind of extra-curricular activity did you mention?

apples said:
They already gave out the results for those who were admitted didn't they?

That's for early action. I am applying for regular action, to which they give out the decision in March, I believe.

I'm a sophomore right now by the way.

My grades were A's. My SAT's were all in the 750's range. For extra-curriculars I wrote about Amnesty International, ballet, and my research (biology). I also wrote my essay about how I would rather have been a ballet dancer.

My application was a little weird.

Good luck!

yeah from my understanding mit looks for quirky science oriented students.

balletomane said:

My grades were A's. My SAT's were all in the 750's range. For extra-curriculars I wrote about Amnesty International, ballet, and my research (biology). I also wrote my essay about how I would rather have been a ballet dancer.

Good luck!

Are you a girl? If so, that must have been a plus, since I heard a good female application has more chances than a good male one...

Why is getting into MIT important?

Werg22 said:
Are you a girl? If so, that must have been a plus, since I heard a good female application has more chances than a good male one...

I don't think the success of an application is based on sex.

ranger said:

To a certain degree it does play a role... at least from what I read. Apparently they get more male applicants, so standing out for a guy is harder than for a girl, since they to have to keep a certain male to female ratio.

Last edited:
MIT meant nothing to my father and I am happy I did listen to my father.
Two years ago I was accepted to MIT Electrical Engineering with a big scholarship and my father told me if I go there that he is going to die.
I did not go, instead I stayed in Toronto and I am sooooooo happy here in my 2nd year of EE.

I just knew my father wouldn't be able to cope with me being in America without him, since I am a girl and my father thinks being 17 years old was too young to be alone in engineering, far away from parents and in M.I.T.

Serbian.matematika said:
Two years ago I was accepted to MIT Electrical Engineering with a big scholarship and my father told me if I go there that he is going to die.
I did not go, instead I stayed in Toronto and I am sooooooo happy here in my 2nd year of EE.

I just knew my father wouldn't be able to cope with me being in America without him, since I am a girl and my father thinks being 17 years old was too young to be alone in engineering, far away from parents and in M.I.T.

I see... kind of a dilemma if you ask me. I don't think I have a relationship with my parents as good as yours, so getting away from here looks appealing to me. I applied to the UT, so who knows, might go there.

That's why I dislike parents. You should have let him died, if it came to that. I don't believe him anyhow.

Serbian.matematika said:
I thought one of the best parts of going to university was getting away from one's parents :biggrin:

verty said:
That's why I dislike parents. You should have let him died, if it came to that. I don't believe him anyhow.

:bugeye:
That's a very cruel response, If going to a certain college is more important to you than your loved one's, then maybe you should restructure your priorities.
The reason you would like to go to a prestigious college in the first place is to to get a good job, good graduate school, etc..., all of which is to make you happy and fell good about your life.
Going to MIT isn't the goal itself, it's the road to get to your goal, and your goal is to lead a happy life, maybe it's just me, but being around my parents (when they are a live) makes me a hell a lot happier than going to MIT, or getting a better starting salary.

Don't you think it is selfish of her father to ask her to give up her MIT shot? That's what I find cruel.

Parents often have a harder time letting go of their kids then the kid does letting go of the parents. The parents, being the more mature party, should realize what an opportunity going to a top ranked school is and shouldn't hold the child back because they can't deal with the emotional strain of being separated.

I think her father is a smart man. Upon graduation from MIT she would not be better off in Ontario than when she graduates from any other university in Toronto; like University of Toronto or Ryerson University.

budala said:
I think her father is a smart man. Upon graduation from MIT she would not be better off in Ontario than when she graduates from any other university in Toronto; like University of Toronto or Ryerson University.

Who said she wants to remain in Toronto?

Serbian.matematika said:

She did agree to her father's suggestion and felt happy about it. Anyway, I think we should stop discussing about others' parental relationship and stay on topic. Bottom line is, different family values different things.

17 girl alone in boston isn't that safe I think....

Serbian.matematika said:

I would have said "Well, I'm going to miss your funeral because I'll be in Boston." :cry:

That's not a good way to convince your son to stay home. It might have been the right decision, but your father took the most immature way possible to convince. That is pure lame.

balletomane said:

Good luck!

I wish I could get ~750 on the Verbal without understanding contractions.

Serbian.matematika said:

Childish act by your father.

Go where you want to go.

verty said:

That is bad but very funny.

ranger said:

As in how much you've had?

Anyway, I want to do postgrad at MIT

Helicobacter said:
I wish I could get ~750 on the Verbal without understanding contractions.

Fortunately reading and writing aren't prereqs for being an MIT student. :wink:

offtopic, you guys should come to Australia, all you need to do is get a good number ie straight A will get you something like 98-99 on national ranking and you can apply to any university in Australia and it would be highly likely that you would get in. I mean all they do is compare your score to their cut-off score and if you are meet or beat the cut off, you're in.

Responding to original post:

I was accepted into MIT EA. SAT: 2300, GPA: 4.4ish W, 3.7ish UW, research, college classes, student of the month, school board member, etc.

Im a freshman in high school I am looking for tips on what i should do to get accepted. Grades arent the problem i need help on what extracurricular activities i should participate in. I am in interested in the computer science andelectrical engineering field.

I got accepted at MIT as an undergraduate in 1987.

Plaza94 said:
Im a freshman in high school I am looking for tips on what i should do to get accepted. Grades arent the problem i need help on what extracurricular activities i should participate in. I am in interested in the computer science andelectrical engineering field.

Big, big piece of advice, don't obsess about MIT, part of the reason is that getting in is largely a matter of luck. Also people that are rich have the ability to hire consultants and tutors that can help their kids get in easier, so they do have what I think is an unfair advantage.

Participate in whatever extracurricular activities you think will make your community and the world a better place, and don't focus too much on trying to get into a particular school. MIT is trying to brainwash you into thinking that your life is over if you don't get in, and they are doing it so that they can make money off of you. Don't structure your entire life around this sort of brainwashing. The fact is that if you are curious, motivated, and intelligent, then MIT needs you more than you need them.

I can tell you a lot about what life is like at MIT (or at least what it was like when I was an undergraduate). It's definitely not for everyone, and getting rejected by MIT may be one of the best things that could happen to you. I've seen people that ended up on campus and who just totally crumbled.

Also one important thing that you will learn at MIT is to dislike (or in my case to lividly hate) MIT.

Where did you do your PHD, QUant?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Where did you do your PHD, QUant?

UTexas Austin, which is a very different type of school from MIT. One thing that I think is good for people to go into a graduate program is to go to a different type of school as undergraduate/graduate so you that just see how different things can be.

twofish-quant said:
Also one important thing that you will learn at MIT is to dislike (or in my case to lividly hate) MIT.

Also one important thing you will learn in graduate school at MIT is to roll your eyes at the undergrads who backhandedly brag about going to MIT by saying how much they hate it.