1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone here got accepted at MIT as an undergraduate?

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    I am applying there and I was just wondering if anyone here got accepted there as an undergraduate. What did your application looked like?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2006 #2
    I did. Uh, what do you want to know specifically?
  4. Dec 17, 2006 #3
    They already gave out the results for those who were admitted didn't they?
  5. Dec 17, 2006 #4
    Well, did you arrange an interview? How did it go? What did you score on your SAT's? What do your grades look like? What kind of extra-curricular activity did you mention?
  6. Dec 17, 2006 #5
    That's for early action. I am applying for regular action, to which they give out the decision in March, I believe.
  7. Dec 17, 2006 #6
    I'm a sophomore right now by the way.

My grades were A's. My SAT's were all in the 750's range. For extra-curriculars I wrote about Amnesty International, ballet, and my research (biology). I also wrote my essay about how I would rather have been a ballet dancer.

My application was a little weird.

Good luck!
  8. Dec 17, 2006 #7
    yeah from my understanding mit looks for quirky science oriented students.
  9. Dec 17, 2006 #8
    Are you a girl? If so, that must have been a plus, since I heard a good female application has more chances than a good male one...
  10. Dec 17, 2006 #9

Homework Helper

Why is getting into MIT important?
  11. Dec 17, 2006 #10

Gold Member

I dont think the success of an application is based on sex.
  12. Dec 17, 2006 #11
    To a certain degree it does play a role... at least from what I read. Apparently they get more male applicants, so standing out for a guy is harder than for a girl, since they to have to keep a certain male to female ratio.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  13. Dec 17, 2006 #12
    MIT meant nothing to my father and I am happy I did listen to my father.
    Two years ago I was accepted to MIT Electrical Engineering with a big scholarship and my father told me if I go there that he is going to die.
    I did not go, instead I stayed in Toronto and I am sooooooo happy here in my 2nd year of EE.

I just knew my father wouldn't be able to cope with me being in America without him, since I am a girl and my father thinks being 17 years old was too young to be alone in engineering, far away from parents and in M.I.T.
  14. Dec 17, 2006 #13
    I see... kind of a dilemma if you ask me. I don't think I have a relationship with my parents as good as yours, so getting away from here looks appealing to me. I applied to the UT, so who knows, might go there.
  15. Dec 18, 2006 #14

Homework Helper

That's why I dislike parents. You should have let him died, if it came to that. I don't believe him anyhow.
  16. Dec 18, 2006 #15

I thought one of the best parts of going to university was getting away from one's parents :biggrin:
  17. Dec 18, 2006 #16
    That's a very cruel response, If going to a certain college is more important to you than your loved one's, then maybe you should restructure your priorities.
    The reason you would like to go to a prestigious college in the first place is to to get a good job, good graduate school, etc..., all of which is to make you happy and fell good about your life.
    Going to MIT isn't the goal itself, it's the road to get to your goal, and your goal is to lead a happy life, maybe it's just me, but being around my parents (when they are a live) makes me a hell a lot happier than going to MIT, or getting a better starting salary.
  18. Dec 18, 2006 #17

Homework Helper

Don't you think it is selfish of her father to ask her to give up her MIT shot? That's what I find cruel.
  19. Dec 18, 2006 #18
    Parents often have a harder time letting go of their kids then the kid does letting go of the parents. The parents, being the more mature party, should realize what an opportunity going to a top ranked school is and shouldn't hold the child back because they can't deal with the emotional strain of being separated.
  20. Dec 18, 2006 #19
    I think her father is a smart man. Upon graduation from MIT she would not be better off in Ontario than when she graduates from any other university in Toronto; like University of Toronto or Ryerson University.
  21. Dec 18, 2006 #20
    Who said she wants to remain in Toronto?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?