Anyone here play portal? Mechanics question

In summary: The co-op in Portal 2 is worth it alone. It's awesome to solve puzzles that require 4 portals and not just 2.
SeventhSigma
Say I place a portal on the underside of a table. I place a large sheet of cardboard on top of the table and then place a portal on the sheet. I then stand in the portal so my legs are below-table and my torso is above-table. Can I lift the cardboard?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure current physics describes the interactions of "portals". However I personally would say yes, you can move it.

This is a great question. I think the answer would depend on whether or not a portal's relative position can be changed. If so, then I would say yes, you could lift the cardboard. Consequently, your legs would be forced to bend downwards to make room for your torso underneath the table. Otherwise, the table would need to be lifted as well.

Once again, this is a great question. I recently turned in a project analyzing the physics of "Portal" in my high school physics class, and I think my teacher will be happy to hear this question.

If your feet are on the ground I would say that you should be able to lift the sheet in both the case where the portal moves with the sheet and in the case where the sheet is fixed in space but permits matter to pass trough its position. The only time it would not permit the movement would be when the portal is fixed in space and completely attached to the sheet.

Anybody tried the new Portal ?

Depends on where your arms are. Actually, the sheet would be in between the underside of the table and the portal. You can't reach it.

Are there even any movable objects that you can shoot a portal onto? Somebody should try this out in the game.

ideasrule said:
Are there even any movable objects that you can shoot a portal onto? Somebody should try this out in the game.

if I remember correctly all box objects are smaller than a portal.

bp_psy said:
if I remember correctly all box objects are smaller than a portal.

Correct.

I don't think you could make a portal on a moving object.

ideasrule said:
Somebody should try this out in the game.
I want to, but I don't have it yet.
JaredJames said:
I don't think you could make a portal on a moving object.
Maybe they could add that feature in a sequel.

FtlIsAwesome said:
I want to, but I don't have it yet.

You're missing out big time.
Maybe they could add that feature in a sequel.

The sequel was just released.

I am going to play it soon!

JaredJames said:
You're missing out big time.

The sequel was just released.

Have you tried both 1 and 2? Most people say that Portal 1 is definitely worth the small price, but 2 is $50.

ideasrule said:
Have you tried both 1 and 2? Most people say that Portal 1 is definitely worth the small price, but 2 is $50.

Only played 1, awaiting delivery of 2.

JaredJames said:
Only played 1, awaiting delivery of 2.

The co-op in Portal 2 is worth it alone. It's awesome to solve puzzles that require 4 portals and not just 2.

1. What is the objective of Portal?

The objective of Portal is to navigate through a series of rooms or puzzles using a portal gun, which creates two linked portals that the player can use to move themselves and objects between them.

2. How do portals work in the game?

Portals are created by using a portal gun, which shoots out a blue and orange portal. The blue portal is the entrance and the orange portal is the exit. Once two portals are placed, the player can enter one portal and exit through the other, effectively teleporting themselves and objects between the two points.

3. Can you use portals to solve puzzles in different ways?

Yes, the use of portals allows for multiple solutions to puzzles. Players can use portals to reach new areas, move objects, and even manipulate their own momentum to solve puzzles in different ways.

4. What are the limitations of portals in the game?

Portals cannot be placed on all surfaces, such as those that are too rough or angled. Additionally, portals cannot be placed in certain areas that are blocked off or too far away from the player's current location.

5. Is there a time limit in Portal?

No, there is no time limit in Portal. Players can take as much time as they need to solve puzzles and progress through the game.