Anyone here taken Real Analysis yet?

In summary: Just be prepared to be hated by most of your classmates.In summary, Real Analysis is a rigorous, proof-based course that some students find difficult. However, if you are willing to put in the effort, it can be a rewarding experience.
luke8ball
Real Analysis will be the most rigorous, proof-based course I've taken for my math major, and I'm concerned because a lot of people at my school HATE the course.

Any tips on preparation? Surviving?

Physics news on Phys.org
luke8ball said:
Real Analysis will be the most rigorous, proof-based course I've taken for my math major, and I'm concerned because a lot of people at my school HATE the course.

Well I loved the course. The very best thing you can do is get a great instructor. The other thing you can do is clear the decks in your life and plan on spending a lot of time on the course.

Anyone who hates real analysis wasn't cut out to be a math major. That's a fact. Engineering or physics, ok. But how can you love math but hate the rigorous study of the real numbers?

SteveL27 said:
Anyone who hates real analysis wasn't cut out to be a math major. That's a fact. Engineering or physics, ok. But how can you love math but hate the rigorous study of the real numbers?

It depends...
When I first looked at real analysis I hated it and most textbooks made it feel really unmotivated. Now that I know what I'm doing though it isn't that bad.

Don't start with Rudin. Apostols analysis book is pretty nice, try that.
Examples make your own examples and get some kind of picture of what is going on and look for alternative definitions for things. Funnily enough I can't think of any off of the top of my head right now but I remember when I first looked at the subject the definitions of certain kinds of sets seemed really artificial and pointless but after looking through different textbooks and different sources I found some better (but equivelant) definitions that got to the point of what the set is.
Once you've got the sets part down the functions and sequences part of it isn't really that hard.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it's just a matter of seeing the bigger picture rather than getting caught up in any particular difficult definition.

I've never actually taken a course, but I've self studied it for about 7 months now. Granted, this is the only rigorous, proof based part of math I've ever done, but I've never enjoyed studying anything more than this.

I started with Understanding Analysis by Stephen Abbott, then I moved on to Principles of Real Analysis by Aliprantis and Burkinshaw. The Aliprantis book is much harder than the Abbott one, but I've managed to work through about half of it on my own thanks to the excellent preparation I got by studying from Understanding Analysis first.

So if you want a book to prepare you for your Analysis course, I strongly recommend you get Understanding Analysis. Basically, if you're willing to put in hours and hours of work into understanding stuff you don't get, and into doing hard problems, you'll be fine.

Related to Anyone here taken Real Analysis yet?

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It focuses on the rigorous mathematical analysis of functions, sequences, and series, and is considered a foundation for many other areas of mathematics.

2. Why is Real Analysis important?

Real Analysis is important because it provides a rigorous framework for understanding the behavior of real-valued functions and their properties. It is also used as a basis for other areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis, differential equations, and probability theory.

3. What topics are covered in a Real Analysis course?

A typical Real Analysis course covers topics such as limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and sequences and series. It also explores topics such as metric spaces, topology, and convergence of functions.

4. Is Real Analysis a difficult course?

Real Analysis can be a challenging course for many students, as it requires a strong background in calculus and mathematical reasoning. However, with dedication and practice, it can also be a very rewarding and interesting subject to study.

5. How can I prepare for a Real Analysis course?

To prepare for a Real Analysis course, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, including topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Familiarizing yourself with mathematical proofs and practicing problem-solving can also be helpful in preparing for the course.