Anyone here who has studied/is studying software engineering?

In summary, the person is interested in pursuing a career in software engineering and is seeking advice on how to get into good universities. They mention their love for programming and physics and their goal of attending the University of Waterloo for their unique BSE program. They also mention considering other universities if they don't get into Waterloo and the possibility of studying computer science or electrical engineering instead.
Zarquad
It's what I recently decided to go into. If anyone has any experiences/advice/suggestions to help get into good universities, that'd be great. I love programming and physics, both for the same reason, which is the logic behind it. They both make logical sense. I math, chem, etc as well, I know I'll be taking them, and doing a ton of math. My "dream" university/my goal university is Waterloo. It has the only program in Ontario that gives you a BSE, the rest just give you a BCS or something. So if I don't get into Waterloo, I think it's better to just study computer science at other universities instead of doing a software engineering program that isn't accredited for software engineering.

I wrote the CCC and am registered for the SIN contest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool :)

There are a number of good software Engineering programs in Canada (I'm assuming you are Canadian since you said Waterloo). UBC, UofR, I think Calgary has one. There are surely others, but I just know those ones do for sure.

You mention that you are also quite interested in science and math. I would actually recommend you do a degree in Electronics/Electrical Engineering. Software Engineering degrees (at least at my school) don't do very much physics/math at all. And, a degree in EE can still get you a job doing software development quite easily.

1. What is software engineering?

Software engineering is a branch of computer science that deals with the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. It involves applying engineering principles and practices to the entire software development process, from conception to deployment.

2. What skills are necessary to study software engineering?

To study software engineering, you should have a strong foundation in programming languages, problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail. You should also have good communication and teamwork skills as software development often involves working in a team.

3. What are the career prospects for software engineering graduates?

The demand for software engineers is constantly growing, and there are many job opportunities in various industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and more. With the rapid advancement of technology, the career prospects for software engineering graduates are expected to continue to be strong.

4. What kind of projects do software engineering students work on?

Software engineering students work on a variety of projects, including developing web applications, mobile apps, desktop software, and more. They also work on projects that involve data analysis, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.

5. What is the difference between software engineering and computer science?

While both software engineering and computer science involve the study of computers and technology, they have different focuses. Computer science is more theoretical and deals with the foundations of computing, while software engineering is more practical and focuses on the development of software systems. Additionally, computer science may cover a broader range of topics, while software engineering is more specialized in the field of software development.