How Do I Fix a DOSBox Internal HAL Module Fatal Error?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
In summary, the old game designed to run in DOS but I can't run it. A friend told me I need to run it with DOSBox, which I've installed, but still no joy.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I've just installed an old game designed to run in DOS but I can't run it. A friend told me I need to run it with DOSBox, which I've installed, but still no joy.

I've followed its instructions on mounting a C drive etc and when I type the file path I want I get this error:

Internal HAL module Fatal error

Module : PANEL_Init
Error : Can't find PANEL file !

Ooooh dear! A DRASTIC error has occured

Does anyone know what this means & how I'd fix it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you just mean a DOS box in the Accessories in Windows? Just click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

Does that get you what you want?

No, DOSbox is a separate program that I'm told allows me to run old programs that windows will not. I've tried the game in the DOS prompt too but no luck there either.

I didn't know about DOSBox until just now, but from this page it seems that the software is far from finished and the bugs you run into may be attributable to current incompatibilities with your hardware. You can always boot in DOS to run the game if this is your only concern. If you don't have a DOS boot floppy or even a floppy drive, you can try FreeDOS, it boots from a CD...

Depending on the game, Glidos may be the best solution. It was first made for the orignal TombRaider, but now there are a large collection of games it works with.

Glidos converts the old DOS VESA (int 10h) calls into OpenGL (preferred) or DirectX, while running from a dos console window under Windows XP. It uses a freeware program called vdmsound to convert soundblaster calls into XP type sound functions. It also allows many older games to run at higher resolution (although the number of polygons used in the game will remain the same unless there's a special patch for the game). Here's a link:

http://www.glidos.net

Thanks guys. I'll give FreeDOS a try. Doesn't look like Glidos supports my game, though I suddenly want to find a copy of Grand Theft Auto. :biggrin:

1. How do I install DOSBox?

To install DOSBox, you can simply download the appropriate installer from the official DOSBox website and follow the installation prompts.

2. How do I run DOS programs using DOSBox?

Once DOSBox is installed, you can open it and type "mount C directory path" to mount the desired directory as your virtual C drive. Then, type "C:" to switch to the virtual C drive and run your DOS program by typing its name followed by the .exe extension.

3. How do I use configuration files with DOSBox?

You can create a configuration file for DOSBox by opening it and typing "config -writeconf filename", where filename is the name you want to give to your configuration file. You can then edit this file with a text editor to customize your DOSBox settings.

4. How do I increase the speed of DOSBox?

You can increase the speed of DOSBox by adjusting the "cycles" setting in your configuration file. A higher number of cycles will result in faster processing, but may also cause instability. Experiment with different values to find the optimal speed for your needs.

5. How do I exit DOSBox?

To exit DOSBox, you can simply type "exit" or "quit" in the command line. You can also use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+F9".