Windows 8.1 down after updates

• Thread starter Silicon Waffle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: Is it possible to repair Windows 8.1 using Recovery Tools?In summary, the computer screen is flickering and there are no application icons being loaded in the task bar. The mouse "loads" intermittently. System restore and Windows restore both fail.
Silicon Waffle
My windows 8.1 pro is dead now after I installed many updates. I don’t which one is causing the error but now the computer screen keep flickering after I log on and there are no application icons being loaded in the task bar; my mouse keeps “loading”.
I have tried to do a system restore on several restored points but all emit the same error saying that
“System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporary disable your anti-virus program and retry system restore…(0x80070005)”

I think this probably has nothing to do with AV engines at all. I have chosen System Image Recovery and access my drive where I installed the AV engines and changed their folder names which in turn disables any of its components being loaded by the system from startup.

Also I've tried choosing Startup Repair. Yet the system responds it can’t be fixed right now. I then tried out Startup Settings to enter safe mode but I got the original black flickering screen without icons except a blank task bar.

Symptom summary: Windows is Bootable, log-on screen is displayed but after logging on, I only see an empty task bar and the whole screen flicker repeatedly. Resetting the windows to the original state using Recovery Tools (Shift+F8 or Shift+Restart) fails. Windows Restore fails, system image recovery fails.

It takes too much time to resolve things like this.
Good news is I've almost done my homework and save things in drive D that is not where windows 8.1 pro is installed. :nb)

Could you guide me to resolve this issue ?
Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
This suggests that anti-virus software might have something to do with it...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/15dc4cd3-4974-425a-9cac-020c46e7ccef?page=5

When you boot up, are you on the network/wifi?

Sometimes when I have boot-up problems, I boot up a Linux live distro (via CD/DVD or USB) like Knoppix and have a look around.
(Of course, you'd need access to a working networked computer to get it.)

Thanks you Greg and robphy for your ideas,
I gave my C drive a go to heaven or hell already by reinstalling the windows.
I found my DVD drive was almost dying, every time I entered BIOS setup I found his option to boot my computer from wasn't there anymore. I could still see him while accessing explorer windows in System Image Recovery and I could only click to open him once though since the second click would freeze the whole recovery wizard (I tried out 3 times).
Now with the new OS installed, he is clearly deleted from my "This PC" tree.
I also read an article in MS page about this error 0x80070005 but after my computer death, I don't know whether or not unchanged desktop.ini is the only reason for such an emitted error.
Sometimes when I have boot-up problems, I boot up a Linux live distro (via CD/DVD or USB) like Knoppix and have a look around.
(Of course, you'd need access to a working networked computer to get it.)
Ok, note taken for future use.
I am yet to be in a hurry to hand in my homework and for an online job test I was invited to take soon this week, but for almost 48 hours this erroneous stuff always on my nerve has got me down nowhere.
Thanks a lot.

robphy said:
Thank you, that's very useful resources. Yet my DVD ROM seems dead. Even though I now reinstalled the OS, I still can't see its icon on "This PC" anymore. I worked with USB to reinstall everything.

1. Why is my Windows 8.1 computer slow after installing updates?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the update itself is causing compatibility issues with your computer's hardware or software. Another possibility is that the update may have introduced new bugs or errors that are affecting the performance of your computer. It is also possible that the update is simply using more resources and causing your computer to run slower.

2. How can I fix a Windows 8.1 computer that won't start after installing updates?

If your computer is not starting after installing updates, you can try booting into Safe Mode and performing a system restore to a point before the updates were installed. If that does not work, you can also try using the Windows 8.1 installation disk to repair your computer's operating system. If all else fails, you may need to contact technical support for further assistance.

3. Can I uninstall Windows 8.1 updates?

Yes, you can uninstall updates in Windows 8.1. To do so, go to the Control Panel and select "Programs and Features." Then, click on "View installed updates" and select the update you want to uninstall. Keep in mind that uninstalling updates may cause other issues, so it is recommended to only uninstall updates that are causing specific problems.

4. How do I stop Windows 8.1 from automatically installing updates?

In Windows 8.1, updates are set to install automatically by default. However, you can change this setting by going to the Control Panel and selecting "Windows Update." Then, click on "Change settings" and choose the option to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them." This will allow you to manually select which updates to install.

5. Will installing updates in Windows 8.1 delete my files?

No, installing updates should not delete any of your files. However, it is always recommended to back up important files before installing updates, as there is always a small risk of data loss. If you do experience data loss after installing updates, it is possible that the update caused a compatibility issue with your files. In this case, you may need to contact technical support for assistance.