Anyone preparing/prepared for the IYPT?

• Thread starter jangheej
  • Start date
In summary, if you are preparing for the iypt this year and need to conduct an experiment in only ten days, the best approach would be to identify the variables you want to measure, design an experiment to test them, and use tools such as a thermometer and hygrometer to gather data and analyze the results.
jangheej
im preparing for the iypt this year, and for the iypt preliminary, i have to
conduct an experiment in only ten days!
can you help me get a sense of what to do??

Homework Statement

Air Drying
Table utensils, after being washed, dry differently. Investigate the drying time depending on relevant parameters.

Homework Equations

? haven't found yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm searching for prior experiments, and I've tried keywords such as "drying experiment", "evaporation rate', "drying of solids", etc.. but not helpful at all :(
for now, I am thinking about placing plates of ceramic, plastic, glass, steel on a hot plate and heating until about 80degrees celcius, depositing a droplet of water with pipette, and measuring the drying time depending on different materials.
but its difficult to control and maintain the surface temperature of the solid plates and I am not sure whether this is the right approach to the problem.

can you give me some advice on how I should approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this problem is to first think about the variables that you would like to measure. Some things you might want to consider include the surface area of the utensils, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the humidity level. Once you have identified the variables that you wish to measure, you can then design an experiment to test them. For instance, you could set up a controlled environment with a hot plate and measure the time it takes for the utensils to dry in different temperatures and humidities. You could also vary the surface area of the utensils or use different materials to compare the drying time. It would also be beneficial to measure the evaporation rate at different temperatures and humidities by using a thermometer, a hygrometer, and a magnifying glass. Finally, you could create a graph to compare the results of your experiment.

What is the IYPT?

The IYPT stands for the International Young Physicists' Tournament. It is an annual competition for high school students from around the world to present and defend their solutions to challenging physics problems.

Who can participate in the IYPT?

Any high school student can participate in the IYPT as long as they have a team of 3-5 members and a teacher or mentor to guide them. There are no restrictions based on nationality or academic background.

How can one prepare for the IYPT?

Preparation for the IYPT involves studying a range of physics topics, practicing problem-solving skills, and conducting experiments. It is also helpful to research previous IYPT problems and solutions to gain a better understanding of the competition format.

What are the benefits of participating in the IYPT?

Participating in the IYPT allows students to deepen their understanding of physics concepts, develop critical thinking and teamwork skills, and build connections with other students and scientists from around the world. It also provides an opportunity to showcase one's knowledge and skills on an international stage.

What should one expect during the IYPT?

The IYPT consists of several rounds, including a theoretical and an experimental round, where teams present their solutions and defend them against critical questioning from the opposing team and a panel of judges. There are also opportunities for social and cultural activities, as well as networking with other participants.