Anyone using Mathematica on Unbuntu

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter airborne18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, there are several individuals in the community who use Mathematica on Linux or Ubuntu. Version 7 works well, but there were some issues with Version 6.0.i. However, these issues seem to be resolved with Version 7.02. Some users had to contact Wolfram for assistance with start-up problems related to graphics drivers. Overall, Mathematica runs smoothly on Ubuntu.
airborne18
Just wonder if anyone in our little community is using Mathematica on Linux or Unbuntu. I have another license to use and a box with Unbuntu.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I use Mathematica on Ubuntu.
Version 7 works fine (almost). Version 6.0.i (i<3) had problems with the Qt library.

I did find on a Ubuntu forum that 7.02 appears to fix the problems. I will dive into the Ubuntu version.

Thanks

I use Mathematica on Ubuntu 10.04 every day. It works fine. I seem to recall I had some start-up problems that I had to call Wolfram to get fixed - something to do with the graphics drivers, but I don't remember the exact details.

I got 7.0.1 up and running on the latest Ubuntu. Works great, thanks.

1. What is Mathematica and how is it used on Ubuntu?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software program used for a wide range of scientific and mathematical tasks, including data analysis, visualization, and programming. It is available for use on Ubuntu, a popular open-source operating system, where it can be installed and used like any other software program.

2. Can Mathematica be used for any specific scientific fields on Ubuntu?

Yes, Mathematica can be used for a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, biology, and finance. It has a wide range of built-in functions and capabilities that make it a useful tool for many different types of research and analysis.

3. Is Mathematica compatible with other programs and languages on Ubuntu?

Yes, Mathematica is compatible with several other programs and languages commonly used in scientific research. It has built-in support for popular programming languages like Python and Java, and can also integrate with other software programs and tools through APIs and file formats.

4. Is there a learning curve for using Mathematica on Ubuntu?

Like any software program, there is a learning curve for using Mathematica on Ubuntu. However, it has a user-friendly interface and comprehensive documentation that can help users get started and learn how to use its various functions and features.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica on Ubuntu?

There may be some limitations to using Mathematica on Ubuntu, such as compatibility issues with older versions of the operating system or hardware limitations on certain devices. It is important to check the system requirements and compatibility before installing Mathematica on Ubuntu.