AP Calculus(HS) vs. Calculus 1 (College)

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between AP Calculus and Calculus 1 for college, as well as the best resources for learning the material in advance. It is noted that AP Calculus AB is roughly equivalent to Calculus 1, while AP Calculus BC is equivalent to Calculus 2. Suggestions for video guides and other resources, such as Khan Academy and Paul's Online Math Notes, are given. The importance of having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is also emphasized. Some schools may offer AP Calculus BC as a continuation of Precalculus, while others may require students to take AP Calculus AB first.
Chas3down
Hey, I am taking AP Calculus next year in High School. Is it the same thing as Calculus 1 for college? Reason why I ask I am looking to learn all of the material in advance..

Would this be a solid guide to follow - http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01-single-variable-calculus-fall-2006/video-lectures/

I know AP Calculus requirements are standard across all schools because there is a standardized Test at the end of the year..

Thoughts? If the guide I linked wouldn't be what I am looking for, any other suggestions would be helpful.. (Video guides preferred)

Physics news on Phys.org
Chas3down said:
Hey, I am taking AP Calculus next year in High School. Is it the same thing as Calculus 1 for college? Reason why I ask I am looking to learn all of the material in advance..
Which AP Calculus? These are not an exact equivalences, but
AP Calculus AB ≈ Calculus I
AP Calculus BC ≈ Calculus II
(I am assuming a two-semester single-variable calculus sequence; Calculus III would be the multivariable calculus course.)

Chas3down said:
You could also try Khan Academy's Calculus videos. I know you said video guides preferred, but I think someone here recommended Paul's Online Math Notes (the Calculus I notes are here).

Also, make sure that you know your algebra and trig. I've heard about students who rush to Calculus too early, only to stumble because their algebra and trig skills were weak.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've taken Alg 1/2 + Precalc (Trig)

I'll take a look at those videos and notes.

I am assuming its AP Calc AB, because our school only offers 1 Calc Course beside Precalc. I am just looking to try some different things because I can't find any math classes at my school that challenge me at all.

Chas3down said:
Yeah, I've taken Alg 1/2 + Precalc (Trig)
Well, just because a student took those courses doesn't necessarily mean that he/she knows the algebra and trig well. :wink:
Chas3down said:
I am assuming its AP Calc AB, because our school only offers 1 Calc Course beside Precalc. I am just looking to try some different things because I can't find any math classes at my school that challenge me at all.
In some high schools, one can jump from Precalculus to AP Calculus BC, because the topics in AB are actually a subset of the topics in BC.

In some high schools where both AB and BC are offered, a student takes AB or BC, depending on how he/she did in the precalculus course, or whether the precalculus course was accelerated or not.

In other high schools where both are offered (like mine), the AB course is a prerequisite of the BC course. But the topics in BC that go beyond AB are not enough for a full-year course, so some teachers will either put in extra review of AB topics, introduce some multivariable calculus, or introduce other topics.

eumyang said:
Well, just because a student took those courses doesn't necessarily mean that he/she knows the algebra and trig well. :wink:

In some high schools, one can jump from Precalculus to AP Calculus BC, because the topics in AB are actually a subset of the topics in BC.

In some high schools where both AB and BC are offered, a student takes AB or BC, depending on how he/she did in the precalculus course, or whether the precalculus course was accelerated or not.

In other high schools where both are offered (like mine), the AB course is a prerequisite of the BC course. But the topics in BC that go beyond AB are not enough for a full-year course, so some teachers will either put in extra review of AB topics, introduce some multivariable calculus, or introduce other topics.

Wish my school was like yours lol.

What is the difference between AP Calculus (HS) and Calculus 1 (College)?

The main difference between AP Calculus (HS) and Calculus 1 (College) is the level of rigor and depth of the material. AP Calculus (HS) is typically taken in high school and covers the basics of calculus, while Calculus 1 (College) is a more advanced course that delves deeper into the concepts and applications of calculus.

Can I receive college credit for taking AP Calculus in high school?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer credit for AP Calculus scores of 3 or higher. However, it is important to check with the specific institution to see their AP credit policies.

Do I need to take AP Calculus in high school in order to take Calculus 1 in college?

No, it is not a prerequisite to have taken AP Calculus in high school in order to take Calculus 1 in college. However, having a strong foundation in pre-calculus and basic calculus concepts will be beneficial for success in the course.

Is AP Calculus (HS) considered equivalent to Calculus 1 (College)?

No, AP Calculus (HS) and Calculus 1 (College) are not considered equivalent courses. While they cover similar material, the depth and rigor of the college course is typically greater.

What are the benefits of taking AP Calculus in high school?

Taking AP Calculus in high school can provide a head start in college, as well as demonstrate a strong academic background on college applications. It can also potentially save time and money by earning college credit.