AP Physics Electric Field Homework Problem

In summary, the electric field at point P due to charges A and B, with magnitudes of -2uC and +3uC respectively, can be computed by finding the vector sum of the electric fields from each charge, which have magnitudes of 338 N/C and 506 N/C respectively. The direction of the electric field from charge A is towards A, while the direction of the electric field from charge B is towards P. The magnitude of the electric field only depends on the distance between the charges and point P.
nnolan6

Homework Statement

A has a charge of -2uC, and B has a charge of +3uC. Initially, there is no charge at point P. What is the electric field at point P due to charges A and B? Diagram given below, ignore periods; they were used solely for spacing purposes.
...(0,7m)
....P
....|
....|
....|
....|
A_______|________B
(-2m,0) | (2m,0)

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r2
C = 1x10-6 uC

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the electric fields for charges A and B, but I have no clue what to do after that..

EA= 338 N/C
EB= 506 N/C

Thanks in Advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

nnolan6 said:

Homework Statement

A has a charge of -2uC, and B has a charge of +3uC. Initially, there is no charge at point P. What is the electric field at point P due to charges A and B? Diagram given below, ignore periods; they were used solely for spacing purposes.
...(0,7m)
....P
....|
....|
....|
....|
A_______|________B
(-2m,0) | (2m,0)

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r2
C = 1x10-6 uC

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the electric fields for charges A and B, but I have no clue what to do after that..

EA= 338 N/C
EB= 506 N/C

Thanks in Advance for the help.

E_A and E_B are vectors. (Electric field is a vector quantity). What you've computed so far is just the magnitudes of those vectors. (I haven't checked your math to see if you've done so correctly). The directions of those vectors are:

- in a straight line from A to P
- in a straight line from B to P

respectively.

So, to get the total electric field at P, you need to find the vector sum of these two. It shouldn't be too hard, since you have all the geometry you need.

Oh okay, I didn't realize that it was a vector.Thank you very much for the help!

Last edited:
nnolan6 said:
Oh okay, I didn't realize that it was a vector.

Thank you very much for the help!

Yes, electric field is force per unit charge. In other words, it maps out how much force a +1 C charge would experience at various points in space, as a result of other charges. So, in a sense, the electric field gives you a way of characterizing the influence of these other charges on their surroundings.

Since force is a vector quantity, electric field, which has dimensions of [force]/[charge] is also a vector quantity. (If you divide a vector by a scalar, you still have a vector as the result).

Alright that makes sense. I realized after I posted the previous question that it didn't make a difference. Thanks again!

I made a mistake. The direction of E_A is in a straight line from P to A (not vice versa), since charge A is negative, and the E-field is defined as the force a positive unit charge would experience. This force is therefore attractive (towards A) in this case.

Alright, that is what I was thinking. It shouldn't change the magnitude though, just the direction of the electric field, correct?

nnolan6 said:
Alright, that is what I was thinking. It shouldn't change the magnitude though, just the direction of the electric field, correct?

Yeah that's correct. The magnitude only depends on the separation, r, between the charge producing the field, and the point P in space where you're evaluating that field.

Alright. Thank you so much for all the help!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. This force can either be attractive or repulsive, depending on the sign of the charges involved.

2. How do you calculate the electric field at a point?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force on a test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. The formula for electric field is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the unit for electric field?

The unit for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI (International System of Units) system.

4. How do you determine the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field at a point is the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed at that point. The direction is always perpendicular to the equipotential lines and towards the negative charge for a negative electric field, and away from the negative charge for a positive electric field.

5. How does distance affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of the field. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.