Solving an AP Spring Problem: Get Answer in 16 cm

• Thread starter WrathofHan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Spring
In summary, You found the new equilibrium position for a block of mass hanging from a spring. If the block is released slowly then it will not oscillate. If the block is released suddenly then it will oscillate. The equilibrium position for the block is 2mg/k.
WrathofHan
Right now I'm reviewing old AP problems for the AP exam for Physics B tomorrow, and I can't seem to get a simple spring problem. I don't know why, but I can't just grasp it. Here it is:

A block of mass 3kg is hung from a spring, causing it to stretch 12 cm at equilibrium, as shown above. The 3 kg block is then replaced by a 4 kg block, and the new block is released from the position shown above, at which the spring is unstretched. How far will the 4 kg block fall before its direction is reversed?

Here's my work(I'm allowed to use 10m/s^2 for gravity):
3kg(10m/s^2) + .12k = 0
.12k = 30
k = 250

250x - 4(10) = 0
x = .16 m = 16 cm

The answer I'm told is supposed to be 32... can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Likes david55gou
Physics news on Phys.org
WrathofHan said:
Right now I'm reviewing old AP problems for the AP exam for Physics B tomorrow, and I can't seem to get a simple spring problem. I don't know why, but I can't just grasp it. Here it is:

A block of mass 3kg is hung from a spring, causing it to stretch 12 cm at equilibrium, as shown above. The 3 kg block is then replaced by a 4 kg block, and the new block is released from the position shown above, at which the spring is unstretched. How far will the 4 kg block fall before its direction is reversed?

3kg(10m/s^2) + .12k = 0
.12k = 30
k = 250

250x - 4(10) = 0
x = .16 m = 16 cm

The answer I'm told is supposed to be 32... can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?
What you found is the new *equilibrium position*. If the 4kg was slowly released so that it would not oscillate, this is where it will end up (try to visualize holding the mass and letting it go *very* slowly so that when you are not touching it anymore it remains at rest).

But in this question, the mass is dropped suddenly. So it oscillates. when it is released, it is 16 cm above its equilibrium position. This means that it will go all the way down to 16 cm *below* its equilibrium position before moving up again. So a total of 32 cm below its initial position

Likes david55gou
nrqed said:
What you found is the new *equilibrium position*. If the 4kg was slowly released so that it would not oscillate, this is where it will end up (try to visualize holding the mass and letting it go *very* slowly so that when you are not touching it anymore it remains at rest).

But in this question, the mass is dropped suddenly. So it oscillates. when it is released, it is 16 cm above its equilibrium position. This means that it will go all the way down to 16 cm *below* its equilibrium position before moving up again. So a total of 32 cm below its initial position

In Physics B, would the max distance always be twice the equilibrium point?

WrathofHan said:

3kg(10m/s^2) + .12k = 0
.12k = 30
k = 250

250x - 4(10) = 0
x = .16 m = 16 cm

The potential energy of the 4 kg block is converted into potential energy of the spring.

[tex]mgx = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

So:

[tex]x = 2mg/k[/tex]

[tex]x= 2*4*10/250 = .32[/tex]

AM

WrathofHan said:
In Physics B, would the max distance always be twice the equilibrium point?
If the object is dropped (it has no initial velocity) then the distance from the highest point to the lowest point is twice the ditance between the highest point and the equilibrium position, yes (the mass follows simple harmonic motion, that is a cosine type of curve)

You can also solve the problem using conservation of energy as Andrew Mason posted (the equation he gave works because the initial and the final velocities are both zero in that example)

Cool, thanks, that helped a lot =)

1. How do I solve an AP Spring problem?

To solve an AP Spring problem, you need to use the formula F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. You also need to know the value of k, which can be found using Hooke's law, and the displacement of the spring.

2. What is the formula for solving an AP Spring problem?

The formula for solving an AP Spring problem is F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This formula is derived from Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

3. How do I find the spring constant in an AP Spring problem?

The spring constant, k, can be found using Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement. You can find the spring constant by rearranging the formula F = -kx to solve for k. This will give you the value of k based on the force and displacement provided in the problem.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the spring constant in an AP Spring problem?

The unit of measurement for the spring constant, k, is usually expressed in newtons per meter (N/m). This is because the spring constant represents the amount of force required to displace the spring by one meter. However, the unit may vary depending on the units used for force and displacement in the problem.

5. Can I use the AP Spring formula for any type of spring?

Yes, the AP Spring formula F = -kx can be used for any type of spring, as long as the spring follows Hooke's law. Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement, regardless of the type of spring. However, the value of k may vary depending on the properties of the spring, such as its material and shape.